Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Mod to 12.6V possible ?

• nwanto Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:14 PM Reply
    Bought similar 6W boards, but only got 420mA. So I figured a 9W board will take it to 600mA or more, perfect to power 2 5W stars SKU 4516 in series. But, the board only output 500mA at this voltage, ~12V.
    Anyone knows on how to mod the board to support 12.4V ~ 12.6V ?
    Tks.
    Posts(20) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, August 30, 2012 1:55 PM Reply
    The two small resistors which are side-by-side appear to be the sensing resistors. You can try soldering additional resistors in piggy-back in order to increase the current. What are the values of the two existing resistors?
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7057) | Reviews | Tip post

• nwanto Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:24 PM Reply
    desolder, tks for your reply.
    You mean increasing current for the 6W driver, instead of increasing voltage on the 9W ? Which is more practical in terms of modding effort, considering I dont have access to SMD parts.
    Btw, the 6W driver which is SKU 81774, has different board than this one.
    The 2 side-by-side resistors on the 9W, are 103 and 330 ; I suppose 10K and 330 ?

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:48 PM Reply
    nwanto, both drivers are constant current sources, so you adjust them by increasing the current. The voltage is variable and depends on the load. It's the opposite of a constant voltage source, where the current is variable according to what the load resistance is.

10K and 330ohms are too high to be sense resistors. Is there an "R" in there, e.g. "R330"?

• nwanto Friday, August 31, 2012 7:20 AM Reply
    desolder, yes I understand this constant current LED driver from numerous postings of yours and sheepish. thanks !!!
    on the 9W driver there are only 4 resistors marked : 330, 333, 225, and a very small one, maybe marked 1803 ; maybe this smallest one ? instead of 1803, perhaps it's 1R03 ?
    On the 6W driver, SKU , there are also 4 resistors : 223, 432, 155, and "1R80" (too small to read) ?
    Let me make one note about the 9W driver. if I put only one 5W LED SKU 4516 (which is a 2x2 LED), it puts out ~800mA @ ~6.4V ; put 2 of this same LED in series, it drops to 500mA @ ~12.3V. So I figure if I can increase "output voltage capacity" upto, say 13V, I can achieve the 800mA powering 2 x SKU4516 in series.
    Or perhaps, it's much easier to just add another resistor to the 6W driver ?
    Anyway, thanks for your assistance.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:38 AM Reply
    Hmm... even 1.8 ohms is quite high for a sensing resistor. This is probably using primary side sensing, which could explain the poor regulation.

Mains AC drivers tend to be more complex than DC-DC drivers. Without knowing the control IC and having a datasheet, I wouldn't be able to tell you what to modify in order to increase the output. Sorry :(

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere