Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

DX asks for credit card photo on a PayPal purchase

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, August 21, 2016 7:28 AM Reply

That is a VERY dodgy email, for many reasons. This one is particularly bad:

2. If you paid by credit card through PayPal, please provide a photo of your credit card.

I'm pretty sure Paypal's rules specifically forbid companies to do this, which means DX should be reported to Paypal, and DX should launch an internal investigation to make sure that someone is not misusing their position for phishing.

@Maye_Tao, you have a serious problem there, even if you do not have anyone phishing.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• Maye_Tao Monday, August 22, 2016 10:08 AM Reply

@sheepish

We did send that payment verification email to kai421.

@kai421

We just want you know the verification process is required out of security reasons regarding every order paid by credit card and paypal.
    Please understand, to prevent those lawbreakers to make orders with stolen cards and to ensure every transaction is legal,we would require our customer to provide us with necessary materials.

Be happy. ( *^_^* )
    Posts(5502) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, August 22, 2016 6:40 PM Reply

We did send that payment verification email to kai421.

Then DX has several problems.

We just want you know the verification process is required out of
    security reasons regarding every order paid by credit card and paypal.

And as we keep pointing out, we are pretty sure that Paypal requires that it NOT happen. For any order.

jmarian  Tuesday, December 10, 2013 5:56 AM

I also just got off the phone with PayPal who escalated the
    issue. PayPal instructed me to *never* send that kind of information to a
    vendor.

thebeenail  Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:09 AM

i just called paypal and asked about this and the said "under
    absolutely no circumstances" should anyone ever have to give dx.com or
    anyone else all the personal info that they ask for. They said they are
    filing a report against dx.com because of this.

I've reread this thread and I'm disgusted that several questions have been asked multiple times and simply ignored by DX. For example, DX has been asked multiple times for some sort of evidence that Paypal is in any way OK with it.

And there are other incidents that show DX cannot be trusted keeping important information safe.

http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1379690?page=2

The problem was solved already,please just ignore that spam.
    We will pay more attention to protect your information in the future.

In other words, "We don't keep our customers' information safe but we'll think about more."

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, August 22, 2016 6:47 PM Reply

For both those Paypal policy quotes there weren't any blank lines between the line with the username and date, and the line with the quote. The Stupid New Forum Interface inserted a couple of blank lines for each one.

And DX refuses to do anything about it.

Remembering 30 years.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, August 22, 2016 9:19 PM Reply

And DX refuses to do anything about it.

After all the threads that have been started concerning things that are wrong here, and replies from staff that have all been meaningless or gibberish, I truly believe there are only 2 possible explanations. 

A. DX does not have anyone capable of fixing things here.

B. DX doesn't care.

I can think of no logical reason to not fix all the bugs (that have been pointed out to DX many, many times) except for the 2 I mentioned above. 

NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:48 AM Reply

I listened to a very interesting interview on the radio last night with someone who explained that China cannot do its own quality control because of deeply ingrained cultural issues. For example, if an inspector is younger than the person doing some welding work the inspector cannot point out problems with the welding, even if the problems might be life threatening.

And what do you know? I had to log in again to post this. Why? Because DX is unable to say "This is complete rubbish. Fix it."

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:58 AM Reply

So yes, it'll be a case of "A. DX does not have anyone capable of fixing things here."

Anyone at DX who realises that Paypal doesn't allow what DX is doing cannot fix it because the person who decided it was a good idea is older than them, or outranks them, or is the son/daughter of someone important, etc. And so DX keeps doing what it shouldn't and doesn't fix what it should.

Remembering 30 years.

• kai421 Monday, August 29, 2016 9:37 PM Reply

@Maye_Tao

Below is an excerpt of PayPal's Security for Sellers page. I imagined myself if I were in DX.com's position of the following questions that PayPal has outlined:

-------------------------

Does the shipping address appear suspicious?

• Is it a high risk location, such as a vacant property, hotel or a country known for fraud?

It was being delivered to my place of work since I've had packages that have not turn up at home, or they've been thrown over my balcony.

• Is the buyer requesting overnight shipping for an expensive order that’s in high demand?

Absolutely not. In fact, DX.com offered the item free shipping to Australia in 24 hours since it is an MVP Product. If I had the same request for my business, then one would only state the available types of shipping available regardless of how much the cost of the order.

• Are there multiple orders being shipped to different buyers at the same address within a short period of time?

Unless my coworker happened to see the same item and thought it was a good deal, then I guess I'm guilty of being a criminal of finding a good deal.

Does the order seem too good to be true?

• Is it a larger than average order from a new buyer?

DX.com offers items at really decent prices, but hey why not treat new buyers as potential thieves and send them an generic email and address them as "Dear Customer".

• Has there been an overpayment, followed by a request to wire the difference?

Pretty sure PayPal doesn't allow customers to amend the amount when confirming the payment.

• Have you received a large quantity of orders from the same buyer (name, email address, phone number or IP address) within a short period of time?

Of course, I paid for another order on the same night AND with my credit card, directly to DX.com. Guilty of being a suspicious customer yet again. 

• Has the buyer ordered unusually large numbers of the same item?

Just got my tax return and was in the market for equipment to explore a new hobby. Sorry for splurging my hard earned cash to spoil myself a bit.

• Has the buyer asked you to use their shipping service?

Nope, but if I had the choice to ensure the safety of my order arriving on time then it doesn't hurt. After all, DX.com takes your cash first before confirming the legitimacy of the order.

If you’re suspicious…

• Check the buyer’s contact information (name, phone number and email address) against the shipping address and look for consistent/matching information.

Gave the same name, phone number and email address. So why don't you flag the payment with PayPal if you think an order seem suspicious.

• Search the internet for the buyer’s name, shipping address, email address and phone number.

Shipping address was to be delivered to the company where I work.

• Search online to see where the phone number is registered.

Even if DX.com did, I'm yet to get a phone call from them to confirm if I did place the order.

• Use an online maps service (like Google Maps) to see where the order is being shipped to.

Or Bing Maps, Apple Maps, I'm sure there's sites that hasn't been blocked. But hey, you guys look like you know what you're doing...

• Call the buyer and ask questions that help verify the order.

Still waiting for that phone call... Oh that's right, no clue of what customer service is supposed to be like.

• Follow the guidelines in our Seller Protection Policy
    If you’re still not sure if the transaction is legitimate, please Contact Us

-------------------------

Yes DX.com, please contact PayPal if you're still not sure if the transaction is legitimate!

Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:07 AM Reply

... free shipping to Australia in 24 hours since it is an MVP Product.

That's how long DX takes to get the item out the door, not how long the item takes to get to Australia. There was a thread a few months ago in which I strongly encouraged DX to revise or clarify their wording.

If you’re still not sure if the transaction is legitimate, please Contact Us

I don't read that as "Perform. your own checks by requesting credit card details from customer." It is Paypal which is handling the credit card transaction, not DX. DX has no business requesting credit card details.

I GOT LOGGED OUT WHILE TYPING THIS. DX IS BEYOND A JOKE.

Remembering 30 years.

• Maye_Tao Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:17 AM Reply

@kai421

Thanks for your suggestion.

Be happy. ( *^_^* )
    Posts(5502) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 8 of 8
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere