Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Requests)
Product Requests

Cree X primary optics ! (do they even exist??)

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:12 AM Reply
    You should include a disclaimer with that link.

"Warning! Take 2 aspirins before reading this article".

Seriously, it was interesting and I understood a little of it, but not much. I don't think I'll be doing any de-doming in the near future anyway. If I mentioned to my wife that I want to soak an led in gasoline for a day, I'm sure the men in white coats would be here rather quickly with a nice, padded straight-jacket. At the very least, I'm sure she would say; "ENOUGH with the f**k**g flashlights". lol
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12566) | Reviews | Tip post

• Jerommel Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:09 PM Reply
    Very interesting, but some terminology used I'm not familiar with, so I didn't get it all the first time...
    But it looks like my de-doming days are over.. :P
    The XP-E was succesfully dedomed, as we speak, an XML is soaking.
    I'll probably leave it at that.. ;)
    Still curious how it'll do in one of my two C8's, compared to an XM-L2 with dome.

Anyway, I thought it would be weird of CREE to put some dome on it just for protection or just s primary optic, but apparently it does increase total light output.

So, zoom or alu reflector may look cool, I tend to think TIR reflectors are the way to go.
    But I'm probably wrong.. (?)
    Posts(287) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, March 22, 2014 9:02 PM Reply
    Have you tried that de-domed XP-E yet? If not, let us know the results when you do.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12566) | Reviews | Tip post

• Jerommel Sunday, March 23, 2014 2:38 AM Reply
    Tried it, it works. :)
    But...
    I decided to glue it on a small plastic chromed reflector, in fact, one from an infamous "3W police" flashlight...
    Now I may have put the emitter too deep in the reflector, because it's a messy somewhat large spot, but with some very annoying dark spot near the centre.
    This reflector is not shaped well enough to make a nice spot, plus the fact that the light source is really really tiny now..
    Better said, it's virtually bigger with the dome, which magnifies it.
    Of course I can not compare it properly with a normal one, because I decided to glue it wit epoxy..
    But, the colour of the dot is evenly white, neutral, and quite bright too.
    But it's messy and not really usable.. :/

The XML will be ready shortly.
    That I can test and compare easier in a C8.
    Posts(287) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Jerommel on 3/23/2014 at 2:43 AM
Page 3 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Requests)
Product Requests

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere