Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Is this really 110-240V?

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, December 27, 2014 8:56 AM Reply
    That is a bit surprising. Perhaps they redesigned it to use a switcher.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• mosfetnz Thursday, June 11, 2015 3:12 PM Reply
    These don't use an Amoy transformer, they use a SMPS as evidenced in the pic posted by MikeB220 in his product review.

The 'M7' diode that he reports as getting hot to the point of failure also reached in excess of 150º C in three of these units that I bought. However on epbDougs advice I replaced the M7 with a Fairchild ES1D diode and the temperature dropped to the same temp as the rest of the PCB.

These units are a fire hazard with the M7 as fitted - especially on 220v mains and should only be used if it's swapped for an ES1D.
    Posts(56) | Reviews | Tip post

• Xumixu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:46 AM Reply

wow, they are dirt cheap on *bay

why wouldnt they fix that in the factory??

Posts(438) | Reviews | Tip post

• mosfetnz Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:16 AM Reply

Yeah, after I got annoyed at too many things going wrong with DX products I started looking elsewhere too and found these much cheaper at ******* although I haven't bought one from there because I now have all that I need.

I think that they didn't 'fix it at the factory' because there are three or four other places in the unit that use the M7 diode (and it's fine in those positions) so they just use them for everything. It tests fine with an M7, it's only when they've been running a while that the heat builds up and gets hot enough to melt the solder.

• Xumixu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:24 AM Reply

I will check there. If i have to fix them myself, I'd prefer to get them as cheap as possible. I'd pay more here in DX if there would be good from the start.

I want to use them in a vertical freezer, so they probably would have to work hard (its summer) and they would eventually burn.

Thanks for the reply.

Posts(438) | Reviews | Tip post

• mosfetnz Tuesday, February 23, 2016 7:44 AM Reply

Good luck. If you're going to use them for a fairly heavy AC load then I'd suggest using the internal relay to switch an external Solid State Relay (SSR) such as SKU 265962, perhaps heatsinked. Then they should run for years. These can also be bought at other places....

All the best.

Page 2 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere