Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

What am I missing?

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, January 15, 2017 4:29 PM Reply

Thanks.

The Interest Groups forums might be a good place to post handiwork. For example, the Electronics forum http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/forum.-211.

I'm looking forward to seeing those photos.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24946) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, January 16, 2017 7:46 AM Reply

A "12V" automotive relay is an excellent suggestion. They are designed to tolerate voltages a fair bit above 12V, which is typical in a "12V" automotive electrical system, so you shouldn't need a voltage regulator. Plus if it ever burns out, you can quickly get another one at any local auto parts store.

For charging your battery, sku.433805 is the smallest charger on DX for a 4S pack. It takes  9-16V as input, so it is compatible with your current 12V 5A power supply.

What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ignatus Monday, January 16, 2017 8:39 AM Reply

@desolder

I've lready ordered the relay online, it should reach here in a day or two and I've started to solder the pack to a new 4 cell battery protection board.

-Yes, I crippled the old one when I tried the stunt to ground that pin ;)  but I have a few spares coming in next week.

As for the charging bit:

Well, I never thought about using a real charger. I just found today another booster that I had laying around SKU: 214310. My idea was to boost the 12V from the power supply / up it to 14,4V and connect it to the power points of SKU: 255209 and "manually" observe the charging status.

Is this feasable? I'm aware that this wouldn't be a proper Lipo charging profile and very possibly shorten the cells' lifespan.

I coulld set the voltage a bit lower, so the cells never reach full 100% but just 90%.

The thought of waiting on the 4S charger for another 2 weeks (or longer if DX doesn't actually have it in stock) just makes me cringe.

One more question , please:

SKU: 433805 charging my battery pack at 3A would take approx.13 hours?

Greetings,

Ignatus

Posts(190) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 17, 2017 5:55 AM Reply

The description states "Output Current 3A", HOWEVER, the photos clearly show it is labelled "Charge current 1500mA MAX". I'll go with 1.5A. With a 9.9Ah battery, it will take about 7 hours to charge up to about 80%. Because the current tapers off after that (during the CV phase), it could take another hour or two to reach 100%.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:03 AM Reply

I've just made several Error Reports for that charger. The last one had the validation code "hehe".

Remembering 30 years.

• Ignatus Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:54 PM Reply

Thank you, Desolder!

Alright then, I will place one final order with the Lipo charger and other gooddies before all DX staff runs off to Chinese New Year celebrations/holidays.

Greetings,

Ignatus

P.S.: Received an automotive 5PIN SPDT relay only to realize that it wasn't a NO/NC relay, but it had two 87 pins instead of one 87 and an 87a pin and was a NO/NO relay. So, progress is slow and I will most likely just order it from DX now.

post edited by Ignatus on 1/19/2017 at 2:56 PM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, January 19, 2017 3:01 PM Reply

two 87 pins instead of one 87 and an 87a pin

Remembering 30 years.

• Ignatus Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:31 PM Reply

8787.jpg

That's how I felt:

raw.gif

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, January 20, 2017 12:43 AM Reply

• Ignatus Friday, February 24, 2017 7:50 PM Reply

Hello again dear DX community,

Unfortunately, my DIY Laptop powerbank project was on hold due to the Chinese New Year holidays and after that I was just busy with work. My last order which included the much needed Lipo charger and a few 12V relays among other items just reached me about a week ago.

Although, I’m eager to complete the project, I must admit that the requirements have broadened and some components that I intended to use have changed etc…

As usual, I’m hungry for knowledge, have some more questions and I’d very much welcome constructive feedback and Know-how.

This project has sparked a deep interest in me to learn more about analog electronic circuits. My current circumstances don’t allow me to dive into it full-time at the moment, but I intend to change that in the near future.

Hoping that this project inspires others to build their own, safe and efficient, large powerbanks and to have all the information in a single place, I’m starting a new thread in the  DX electronics forum where I’ll post pictures, schematics and Sku No#

Hope to see you there.

http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1467557

Kind regards,
    Ignatus

Page 2 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere