Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Electronics)
Electronics

DIY laptop powerbank project

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, September 20, 2018 11:22 AM Reply

Hi Ignatus. Good to hear from you again. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24930) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:21 PM Reply

Hi Ignatus    

It's nice to see you back, especially since many of the other forum regulars have left, or hardly ever post here anymore.

For that matter, even DX staff don't post here very often anymore. I think maybe most of DX's employees only work part-time now. lol

NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12555) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ignatus Friday, September 21, 2018 10:38 PM Reply

Hi Desolder, gasbag and sheepish

So nice to see you all !!!

Yes, pics will come soon. Just snapped yesterday one of the ebike before I went to the postoffice, but haven't yet brought up the battery packs (my joy and pride)  from the cellar - because my man-cave and all 4 tables are overflowing with tools and tech/junk :))

"I think maybe most of DX's employees only work part-time now"

- Wrong. There is only one worker/owner who forwards all DX orders to the retailers. DX has become a dropshipper :P

Posts(190) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Ignatus on 9/21/2018 at 10:40 PM
  • Ignatus Saturday, September 22, 2018 1:17 AM Reply

@Desolder

@gasbag11

@Sheepish

Okay, Okay .. I made it to the cellar…
    and then went to my man-cave and cleared up one table :)

Here the Pics:

Please note, it is a temporary setup.

The batteries sit currently in a basket in front and steering with 5kgs Lipo load is not too nice. Had the Lipos in a lockable box in the rear for some time, but it didn’t work well for long.

Currently considering to order some very slim waterproof plastic suitcases similar to motorbike cases (but slimmer), which would sit left and right off the back wheel and alternatively I am considering to build a triangular box that could be placed in the frame.

Not sure yet, it also depends on my plan to possibly order another 120 cells to double up the capacity. I haven’t yet built a speed sensor into the pedal-crank shaft - so this ebike runs with a grip throttle like a moped ,without peddling at all (if I’m lazy.. which is most of the time the case).

I have no BMS, but my LCD3 ebike controller shows me approx. Charge levels and by the time the bike slows down to just 15 km/h I’ve reached about 3.7V per sub pack.

Lipos & charging:

Because I’ve decided to go without a BMS (ebike BMSs are a major point of failure) I’ve built 2 Lipo Packs. So, I have 2x 6s10P Packs and a 6S charger. When in use in the bike I join the 2Lipo packs via XT60 connectors in series to get a 12S10P pack with 29.5Ah @ 44.4V nominal and 50.4V fully charged instead of the industry standard 48.1V nominal 13S packs.

Mileage varies depending on pedal support and on drive style. If it is a lot of stop and go - means short distances in the city running errands... then I only get about 25kms, but I’ve made an almost a 45kms long journey without any stops at near full speed with heavy extra load. - Obviously that range is 100% motor power and ZERO% pedal assist!

It’s a 1000Watts hub motor that pulls up to 3000Watts peak from still stand and averages about 900 Watts on long drives with steady speed (without hills). Top speed I made, inclusive my weight plus heavy luggage (shopping trip)  total of 125kgs plus bike weight, plus 5kg Lipos is 47km/h.

The motor controller is currently in that frame. bag, but will eventually be housed with the Lipos as well.

Upgrade of the motor controller is planned. Currently it is a cheap general 9Mosfet Controller. I’m on the lookout for a better 12Mosfet SINE WAVE Controller (with very specific Mosfets) at an affordable rate, but $300-$400 for a good sine wave controller is just over my budget.

Overall spent so far was approx:

220 Euros for hub motor kit
    250 Euros for 120 Lipo cells (ordered from Netherlands)
    50 Euros for 6s,15 Amps smart charger
    20 bucks for 10 A , 24V Powersupply (that goes to the charger) (I charge the Lipo packs @9Amps. The smart charger has                        less boost work to do when the input is 24V and has to just reach 25V output)
    50 Euros for 12V 44Ah (peak 440A) car battery
    100 Euros for Arduino Spotwelder
    200 Euros for cheap Steel frame. Mountainbike off the Rainforest site
    70 Euros for changing discs and break calipers system from mechanical to hydraulic Shimano
    15 euros Nickel strips
    100 bucks estimated for tools, wires, different rear sprocket and misc. parts

= TOTAL aprrox. 1100Euros for an ebike with range and power that leaves other riders riding 2500Euro ebikes baffled in a cloud, tasting the dust of my rear-wheel.

power.jpg

Posts(190) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Ignatus on 9/22/2018 at 1:58 AM
Page 11 of 11
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Electronics)
Electronics

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere