Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

phone not fit for Europe

• Ignatus Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:30 PM Reply
    Hi ozOzo

I agree, Xiaomi should really get their naming game right.

“...if they don’t 100% very clearly in the product description state that a particular phone comes PRE-INSTALLED with Global ROM and supports OTA.

Lots of luck with that!”

Well, all one has to do is use any of the 3 headings of any of the 3 Smartphones that I wrote about above, for example:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Global Edition 5.5-inch 3GB RAM 32GB ROM Snapdragon 625 Octa-core 4G Smartphone

and dump that into a Google search bar - to find a vendor who provides a factory-sealed phone with a Global Edition Rom ;)

“I'd guess that the companies overproduce for the local market and sell off superfluous stock for a song. If they have a band or two that works in other countries, they'll still work as a not so smart phone.”

In some cases this is true. However, most of those weird band CDMA phones work just fine in the USA, where many cellphone network operators are way behind the rest of the world.

Also, Xiaomi is not selling directly in the West for a couple of reasons:

a.) They have some/many issues in regard to patents holders and licensing rights for the CPUs they use and are on the verge of ditching Qualcomm and MediaTek. Xiaomi is currently trying to build their own SoC called Pinecone. I would think that within the next 6-8 month or so they will start to officially sell their phones in Western Countries.

b.) Some of their phones’ designs were "inspired" by Apple. If they would sell these in the US or Europe officially, a lawsuit would follow almost immediately. However, no Western company would ever win a lawsuit in China against a Chinese company.

Posts(190) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Ignatus on 8/5/2017 at 4:52 PM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:14 AM Reply

Uploaded rhe pic elsewhere and pasted the link in here, but from past experience it doesn't work.

Whenever you paste something into your post (for example, a SKU number) the Stupid New Forum Interface loses all the pictures you already had in your post.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24945) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 21, 2017 8:17 AM Reply

Some of their phones’ designs were "inspired" by Apple.

LOL, that's the most diplomatic definition of grand larceny I ever heard! 

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ignatus Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:12 PM Reply

"Whenever you paste something into your post (for example, a SKU number)
    the Stupid New Forum Interface loses all the pictures you already had in
    your post."

Yes, I've noticed that bug several times on various occasions and it is super irritating when having multile images in a post that get lost and need to be re-uploaded.

Seems like easiest workaround is to host the image/s on a 3rd party site, paste the "picture-link forum-code" from the 3rd party site into the post at DX, just like I did in my above post.

Main SNFI (Stupid New Forum Interface) hiccup yesterday was that I could not even try to upload an image natively, because the "select image button" would not load/show up. (Works now, I just tested)

On the other hand, Xiaomi has some awesome forum features, where users can create polls, earn a plethoria of differnt type of badges and points which then unlock additional forum features, or entitle you to priority customer care, can be exchanged for freebies etc...

They also have constantly some contests running.  - No grandiose claims of millions of $ in coupons  etc... Not these "fooled 'ya " Dx contest - buy something for $15 to participate and win a $1 voucher that you can only spend on your next $100 order within the next 24 hours. ;)

-They offer simple, small prizes like a smart wristband and some T-shirts if you participate in a poll or leave a forum comment.

..and to a large extend, Xiaomi's forum is moderated by long-time forum-members who receive something in returm for their efforts!

I wish Dx would re-invest into their customers and fans here with a truly pro-actively supported and funded forum.

Hi Oz,

Lol at  "grand larceny". - It beats me how a company gets a patent on the design of "rounded corners" and similar non-sense.

It is almost as if I were to patent the process of picking up any object from the floor, which includes doing a squat. - Next time any human stretches their arms out, squats and lifts a box -I'll send them a copyright infringement notice, as well as a cease and desist letter along with a bill .

Edite: Fixed typo

post edited by Ignatus on 6/21/2017 at 6:38 PM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 21, 2017 5:20 PM Reply

They offer simple, small prices

Low prices, small prizes.

Remembering 30 years.

• Ignatus Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:50 PM Reply

lolz you are too late.. I already fixed the typo 8 mins before your reply ;)

Edit: Okay, I'm not sure.  Didn't see your comment while I fixed my typo, but my "Edit timestamp" says otherwise.

post edited by Ignatus on 6/21/2017 at 6:53 PM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:55 PM Reply

Ha ha. Your edit timestamp says otherwise. You posted it 8 minutes before I replied. (Think I'm a newbie around here, do ya? :P )

Remembering 30 years.

• Ignatus Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:12 PM Reply

I guess I just missed your reply, because I didn't scroll down all the way to the end of the screen while proofreading my once again far too long post, 30 mins after I posted it ;)

If you were a newbie it would mean that you'll get some 10 years or so of your life-time back inclusive the energy spent writing those 23122 posts.

-  I don't think anyone would want to take this fulfilling and positive experience away from you .

P.S.: Cut me some slack, please. Prize and price is easy to mix up as a non-native English speaker. - Especially if you are from Germany.

• Ignatus Wednesday, June 21, 2017 7:39 PM Reply

P.S.:

No version history here...

- I could sneakily claim that my last  Edit at 6:38 PM was anything else, but surely not related to fixing my typo.

Which reminds me of another forum, where user edits are disabled after 30 minutes of publishing a post.

Which also reminds me again of the Xiaomi forum, which I really like. They use the Discuz forum software from Comsenz ( created by a Chinese company).

Maybe Dx could implement that instead of this current forum mess homebrew?

Here a litle screenshot:

dis.jpg

The options are really neat... those badges are for the thousands of posts the forum mod created.

Generally, that forum software really encourages customer interaction and as far as I know it is open source.. so DX could modify the code to implement whatever other features they need to integrate here with their products....

Yessss, looks like I am wayyyy off-topic again ;)

Page 4 of 4
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere