Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Does it work with external power supply?

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, February 18, 2018 4:51 AM Reply

The English expression "buying a pig in a poke" is supposed to come from trying to buy a pig in a sack without being able to look at it (but just poke it in the sack), and finding out when you got home that you have a cat instead. Maybe the English version focuses on what was intended to be bought and the Russian version focuses on what was actually bought.

ozOzo, why 5.5 x 2.5mm not 2.1mm?

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24949) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, February 18, 2018 6:32 AM Reply

Why not 2.1mm? The first couple I found yesterday that mentioned it were 2.5. I just spent half an hour looking and can’t find any mentioned!

I agree with your fine distinction between ‘what was intended to be bought’ and ‘what was bought’ but both convey the same meaning, buying something sight unseen. I disagree with your use of the word ”poke” though.  The poke in this saying is not a prod at the sack, it is poke (noun), the sack itself. “Pocket” is from the same word, a small poke.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, February 18, 2018 6:40 AM Reply

Thanks Oz. That makes much more sense, especially considering how old the expression must be and how language would have changed in that time... except that it wouldn't translate to/from Russian.

Remembering 30 years.

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, February 18, 2018 7:37 AM Reply

Come to think of it lk0001, using that USB2 cable restricts the current to 100mA which I think would negate any benefit in using a 3.0A or 4.0A charger. (Citation required).

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

• lk0001 Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:12 PM Reply

Lol, originally it is french proverb "acheter chat en poche" that's much older then english "pig in a poke".
    Anyway, soon my cat or pig will be delivered to me.
    That is similar to it: 
    It is unlikely that it has a 5.5*2.5 mm socket, because usually big sockets are being used for higher currents and voltages.
    For example, many notebooks use 19V 4A power supply and have 5.5*2.5mm socket. USB hub requires barely 5V 3A or less.
    The most of USB 2.0 hubs I've seen had 3.5*1.3 mm socket. But USB 3.0 requires more power, and may have bigger socket? Soon I'll see it myself.

Posts(21) | Reviews | Tip post

• lk0001 Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:22 PM Reply

ozOzo> And where does the other end go?... unless you have found a suitable power adaptor with a female USB interface.

Look at these: sku.485856, sku.323284, sku.418894 and many other USB power supplies.

Posts(21) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by lk0001 on 2/20/2018 at 10:35 PM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:21 AM Reply

One of the things I like so much about the DX forum is it's very educational; thanks lk0001. Do note, though, that linking to competitors is still not allowed.

Remembering 30 years.

• Maye_Tao Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:55 PM Reply

@lk0001

What power supply is needed? What voltage, current, socket size, etc..

3.5mm 2.1A power supply.

Be happy. ( *^_^* )
    Posts(5502) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 2 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere