Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Wait time?

• zzonbi Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:46 PM Reply
    What do you mean? It appears on stock now, people wrote reviews about it.
    I wanted it too once, until I realised it's just a linear regulator, no better than a resistor.
    If alkalines suit you, 3 of them in series don't need a resistor. You could try 3256 single mode. With the 3 modes you want chances are they'll add flash too. If you got to have more modes get a switch with more positions.

Here my tip for DX: make a smart switch which works like a forward clickie when depressed, but can be also be rotated like a pot to vary current, and is solid enough to take large currents. This will sell like hotcakes... because we can't beat simplicity.
    Posts(72) | Reviews | Tip post

• Bokke Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:04 PM Reply
    My tip to DX, read CPF and see how most people complain about flashing modes, then build a nice and very efficient driver that offers the modes that most people want. I feel that complex switches and resistors are not the way to go, too inefficient and even more things to break.

If I had a programmable choice I would program it as follows: Start @ 700mA - 1000mA - 350mA - 100mA - 20mA with a 12 hour memory (the memory remembers the last mode if switched on within 12 hours, thereafter it always starts in mode 1).
    Posts(238) | Reviews | Tip post

• zzonbi Monday, September 29, 2008 9:42 AM Reply
    It's the other way, switches/resistors simple, PIC(processor/memory)+transistors+capacitors/inductors+resistors/switches less simple.
    So many modes with a single button are just another flash annoyance. Given li-ions are so close in voltage to what a led needs makes a resistor surprisingly efficient, comparable if not better than most drivers. But to each his own. Since digital is so trendy and sells I don't really expect DX will follow my suggestion.
    Posts(72) | Reviews | Tip post

• Bokke Monday, September 29, 2008 12:44 PM Reply
    We can continue for days, but I prefer not to with this last thought:

All electronic components fail mechanicaly and although the "complex" switch seems easier to design the intelligent solution should be better in the long run and higher efficiencies can be achieved.
    Posts(238) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 2 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere