Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Knives)
Knives

Addiction getting serious

• cabfrank Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:10 PM Reply
    i had a pentagon elite II for a little while, before i sold it to a friend ( at cost, of course) and it was awesome, but huge. i think you will like the regular pentagon, which is just a bit smaller, very much.
    Posts(494) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:34 AM Reply
    I thought about the Elite II but it did seem that a 5" blade would be a bit excessive if I tried to tell people it was for sharpening pencils ;o)
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, October 9, 2010 2:55 PM Reply
    As far as sharpening goes, I like a wider angle on my work knives but I strop out the microserrations and finish to a glass edge (well, as close to as possible anyway).

An atom-thin edge is impressive to show off and all but you'll just end up with a dull knife again partway through a job.

I'm not a fan of microserrations as those microscopic teeth will be forced in all directions, microscopically chip and wrench the edge out of shape more quickly than an edge of similar angle that's smooth as glass. If your knife's proper sharp it won't need teeth to glide through fibrous material anyway.
    Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post

• gregwalton Thursday, December 16, 2010 5:44 AM Reply
    Update:

I've spent about £400-500 this year on knives and sharpeners: probably about half with DX and half elsewhere (on branded gear). For that I got about 30 knives from DX and 5 branded knives. What do I carry everyday? sku.33987 if I'm out in the country walking the dogs or a Boker Trance 42 if I need to be UK Street Legal. If it wasn't for the silly rules against locking knives I would probably have never bought the Boker and used sku.19364 instead!

I do take my expensive knives out and pet them occasionally :o)
    Posts(270) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 2 of 2
Go to Page:
Knives

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere