Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Strange behaviour

• bladteth Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:31 PM Reply
    Hi,

I bought a set of these year ago and they used to work absolutely fine in flashlight with Cree R2-WC operating at 0.62 A on high. I have recently upgraded drop-in to a different LED that pulls about 2 A on high and one battery is able to cope with that normally, while the other is not. When turned on, the light is very dim and flickers, and tail-switch would not change modes. Current measured at the switch is about 5 mA. Both batteries accept charge well and go up to 4.15 V when full. Any advice?

Cheers,
    bladteth
    Posts(10) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:39 PM Reply
    The "bad" cell might just be due to a flaky protection board. You can try cutting out the board (which sits on the bottom of the cell) and see if it makes a difference.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• erirohvel Thursday, April 4, 2013 11:32 AM Reply
    talking about strange behaviour.... i've got 2 of these cells and both of them drop their full voltage to -xx.00 volts totally randomly...
    Posts(480) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, April 4, 2013 12:46 PM Reply
    It's probably a flaky protection board or loose connection on either the positive strap that runs up the side of the battery, or the negative strap.

• erirohvel Friday, April 5, 2013 4:40 PM Reply
    how to fix that?

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, April 5, 2013 4:58 PM Reply
    You'll have to disassemble it. Strip off the outer plastic heat shrink. Then visually inspect the thin metal strap which goes from the top of the cell down to the protection board. It could be a cold solder joint where the metal strap is soldered onto the protection board. The negative connection could also be flaky.

If all the wiring looks fine, then it could be a faulty board. DX sells replacements: sku.26112. Swap in the new board, then put some new shrink wrap to complete the fix.

If these are brand new cells, then I wouldn't bother with it. Submit a ticket so DX can send you replacements. If they ask for a picture, take a photo of the multimeter showing zero volts when connected to the cells.

• erirohvel Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:54 AM Reply
    ok thanks, its prolly better to buy the dark brown ones with flames on them then

• erirohvel Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:07 PM Reply
    looks like these cheap craps cant handle powerful lamps... i also have couple of red ultrafires and all of them die after 20 seconds

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, December 22, 2013 12:13 PM Reply
    You must have gotten these Ultrafires, erirohvel:

http://i.imgur.com/aPGyA.jpg
    img src: http://i.imgur.com/aPGyA.jpg

Trustfires seem to be a bit more trustworthy (pun intended) than the Ultrafires.

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere