Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Latest batch is bad

• mrbill Wednesday, December 14, 2011 10:00 AM Reply
    What is the next best protected 18650 battery to get in the meantime?
    Posts(477) | Reviews | Tip post

• hobertshof Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:50 AM Reply
    I would like to know that too because I need some 60 pieces right now.
    Posts(125) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, December 26, 2011 12:34 PM Reply
    You could try the Soshine 2800 (sku.28678). They tested with as much capacity as the old True 2400, but lack the ability to output 5 amps (not that you should be doing 5A...)

http://lygte-info.dk/info/Batteries18650-2011%20UK.html
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• hobertshof Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:50 AM Reply
    Thanks for the advise desolder but the soshine is way more expensive and does not perform better according to the testresults. So I still am looking for an affordable alternative. Hope DX solves the problem and let us know
    Posts(125) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:39 AM Reply
    An update, testing a couple of brand new cells...

http://i39.tinypic.com/351tp5k.gif
    img src: http://i39.tinypic.com/351tp5k.gif

My initial thought after (actually while) testing cell E was that it's yet another cell of horrendous consistency - significantly different discharge curve (both shape and capacity) to anything else I've tested so far. However, after testing cell F I'm actually impressed with the consistency between the two.

But...

* They still have a much lower capacity than the original 2400mAh cells. To 3.0V, cell E was 2059mAh, cell F was 2044mAh. At the end of the test, at 2.55V or so, cell E got 2130mAh, cell F got 2115mAh.

* They have a rather low voltage under load. This will impact on their ability to power single cell torches and on their total energy. Down to 3.4V, for example, they have about 1000mAh while cell B has 1800mAh.

In conclusion, apart from their consistency I'm still not impressed. I wouldn't call these great cells.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24946) | Reviews | Tip post

• greggarcia Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:30 PM Reply
    I've been watching this thread, waiting to order some 18650 batteries. Is there any new data regarding this sku.... in other words, has the "bad batch" been sold through? Is there a newer batch selling now? If so, is the current batch good? Is there any consensus regarding the best alternative sku? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:32 AM Reply
    Is there any new data regarding this sku...

Um... you know, that was the point of my immediate previous post. The graph now includes cells E and F which are brand new cells from the most recent batch of sku.20392, shipped at the end of last month. They are clearly not the same quality as they used to be. I do not consider them good. They may be adequate for some uses - your call on that for suitability for your own purposes - but I believe they are overpriced now considering how good they used to be.
    Remembering 30 years.

• greggarcia Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:22 AM Reply
    Thanks sheepish for the reply. Having scoured the thread perhaps too quickly, I was a little un-clear regarding exactly what your post (and graph) dated 1/14/12 was showing. I may have been under the impression that you had added new data to manne's graph of 10/13/11 comparing True (sku 20392) and Blue (sku 5790) - perhaps due to the similar curves and colors of your cells "A" and "B" and the "True" cells - but the data is making more sense now. I'm not sure how large a supply a "batch" is, or how long it might take to sell through.... or if the issue is a temporary matter of a batch problem, or a semi-permanent issue of a new supplier that will only change upon some active participation of purchasers at DX .

At any rate, I do need to order some batteries soon and was looking for some guidance from persons, such as yourself, with more experience in this matter. Although I like a good deal, I AM willing to pay for reliability, so I have been considering various options such as the Soshine 2800s here (despite the higher price), or some of the higher capacity AW products from elsewhere, or maybe the Samsung Purple. I DID actually want Protected cells though, and the Samsung (or Sanyo, or Panasonic) cells from that source are not protected.

So, the fact that these TrustFire Black&Reds (20392) are not what they used to be has made the decision somewhat complicated - which I guess is the same boat that everyone is in. I just happened to climb on the boat recently, and have NO 18650 batts, and need at least a couple, and soon! Thanks again for any guidance you can offer... it is appreciated.
    Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:55 PM Reply
    That choice of colour was purely coincidental. :)

I have hardly any experience with Li-ion cells - that graph is basically it. I don't think there is a consensus on an alternative. :(
    Remembering 30 years.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, January 16, 2012 12:27 PM Reply
    If they haven't shipped yet, you can cancel your order. Contact DX customer support.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 4 of 20
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere