Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

direct driven :(

• ChynaBoi Friday, April 27, 2012 12:09 AM Reply
    I've had quite a lot of fun playing with this torch. It's definitely the brightest torch I own right now. It gives off a huge amount of heat too, enough to melt some plastics =p

only downside so far is that the torch is direct drive. In a way it is a useful indicator of when your batteries are running low. Unfortunately it also means brightness decreases over time so the blinding light you get with 4 freshly charged batteries slowly dwindles till it's dimmer than a cheapo 9 LED torch before being shut off by the battery's protection circuitry.
    Posts(92) | Reviews | Tip post

• nginx Sunday, April 29, 2012 12:22 PM Reply
    Can't possibly be direct driven if it has more than one brightness mode. Most probably it is semi regulated with a buck converter which falls out of regulation once input voltage goes below a threshold which is set based on the Vf of LED.

I kinda like lights like this as they don't suddenly go out without any warning. It also ensures fairly long runtime towards the end of battery life albeit with severely diminished but useful output nonetheless. The human eye tend to adjust to continuously decreasing output over a period of time, so its not something that will bother most people unless its a 2500 lumen show off contest.
    Posts(344) | Reviews | Tip post

• funkychateau Friday, May 18, 2012 2:18 PM Reply
    Yes, it can be unregulated (series resistor current limit) and still have multiple brightness levels.

This is typically accomplished by using PWM in series with the limiting resistor. For a system such as this, the average drive current (and brightness) in all modes will decrease as the battery voltage decreases.
    Posts(55) | Reviews | Tip post

• nginx Friday, May 18, 2012 8:55 PM Reply
    ^ Thanks for the information mate.
    Posts(344) | Reviews | Tip post

• DrJones Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:38 PM Reply
    I think I have seen an image somewhere showing this light taken apart; it seems so have three (buck?)drivers (with coils), one for each LED, so I think it's not direct driven.
    Posts(1593) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere