Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Brighter R2

• Enlighten Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:29 PM Reply
    Why can’t they make them brighter, a XM-L in a XR-E package wouldn’t that make a good thrower.
    A 500 lumens XR-E would be good even better a 1000 lumens, come on Cree Please make them.
    Posts(90) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 7, 2012 2:42 AM Reply
    Not. Gonna. Happen.

Sorry.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 7, 2012 11:02 AM Reply
    a XM-L in a XR-E package wouldn’t that make a good thrower

The throw will actually get worse. The XML has a much bigger die area, so although the total light output is higher, the surface brightness is lower, resulting in a dimmer hotspot, and thus less throw.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• Enlighten Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:50 AM Reply
    Thanks for the info, and your right I cant get them to spot, how can we get or make better throwers.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 8, 2012 11:02 AM Reply
    "Throw" is mostly a function of the reflector diameter and the surface brightness of the source. So if you want a super thrower, get a really large reflector and use a Cree XRE R2. e.g. 73mm reflector sku.47996 or 75mm aspheric sku.43044
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• BIBIwood Geek And Interns Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:48 AM Reply
    When it comes to throw, @DrJones should be able to help you. I can't get my hands on his CAT thrower topic.

You can take a look on this topic too: http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.577405
    Or look for a topic for a super-thrower made with a black reflector, can't get my hands on it neither.
    Posts(609) | Reviews | Tip post

• Enlighten Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:23 AM Reply
    Appreciate your help, I have only been trying reflectors including the 73mm sku47996 with different leds and its ok but will give the 28mm glass lens a go also and may have to use a number of them, I had sku126117 on order and it came today and its quite good got distance and lots of spill, its 52mm across the inside and 52mm deep, dont like the 5 mode and low voltage range so may have to change the driver with a single mode and take 12 volt.
    I will try the glass lens first as that should give more of a pencil beam and if that doesnt give enough i will get another 3 sku.126117 and put them in my torch.
    I am new to this forum stum but how do I make the sku numbers blue so people can click on them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:55 PM Reply
    The CAT100: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280374-CAT100-a-cat-food-can-thrower-(100kcd)

I also used that lens to make a thrower, although not in a cat food can. It gives a very tight beam.

I am new to this forum stum but how do I make the sku numbers blue so people can click on them.

You just did. :)
    Remembering 30 years.

• Enlighten Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:32 AM Reply
    Been away for a few days.
    Thanks everyone for your help, very interesting and still reading will give it a go and will order sum stuf this week, might use something other than a cat food can but it works, I see there is a 99mm lens 5-90 degree sku.43043, 75mm 20-65 degree sku.43044, 66mm 2-90 degree sku13618. the 50mm has a 8-120 and another 50mm at 2-80 degree, does the degree play any part in it and is bigger better.
    Thanks

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, May 13, 2012 8:17 PM Reply
    Because of its shape that 99mm lens will have a rather long focal length compared to the others. One of the threads mentions 140mm (not the 80mm claimed in its description).
    Remembering 30 years.

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere