Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

This does not measure body fat

• popsishere Friday, June 6, 2008 2:22 PM Reply
    As the title says, this item does not measure body fat.
    Instead, you enter your age, height, weight and sex. The unit then estimates your body fat (based on the data you entered) when you touch the "measurement" pads.
    It comes up with the same answer when you hold an insulated copper wire and touch the bare ends on the pads!
    So either a 12" bit of wire has the same body fat percentage as I do, or this device doesn't measure what they say it does :-)
    Posts(4) | Reviews | Tip post

• DaddyMJ Friday, June 6, 2008 2:43 PM Reply
    For $5.00 US did you really think it would?

It's supposed to work like this:

" . . . electrodes send an extremely low level current through the client’s body to provide feedback data via bioelectrical impedance analysis".

Posts(325) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by DaddyMJ on 6/6/2008 at 2:46 PM
  • popsishere Friday, June 6, 2008 2:47 PM Reply
    No, but they should call it a "body fat calculator", and do away with the dummy pads.
    Just because something is cheap, that's no excuse for it not to work, and definitely no excuse for it to be advertised as doing something it's clearly not capable of.
    At best, Deal Extreme have no understanding of this, so don't know it doesn't "do what it says on the tin".
    At worst, they're scamming us.
    Posts(4) | Reviews | Tip post

• captjimjam Friday, June 6, 2008 4:29 PM Reply
    I'm sure DX don't know much about this. They probably stocked it because they thought it looked interesting and sell-able at one of there suppliers. DX will probably ammend the description as soon as they find the product is different to how it is described.
    Addicted to yellow envelopes!--UK--
    I'm a forum only moderator and not part of DX staff.
    To contact DX staff use: http://services.dealextreme.com
    New customer guide: www.tinyurl.com/help-dx
    Posts(6823) | Reviews | Tip post

• Marble Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 6, 2008 7:04 PM Reply
    @popsishere concerning thread title, I could have told you that..
    Stop global warming!! Become a pirate!! NL

+1 on (genuine) HTC Touch accessories
    Posts(754) | Reviews | Tip post

• SuperNinja Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 6, 2008 8:14 PM Reply
    The differences in dryness of the skin from one person to the next would probably make the results very unreliable, regardless of the quality of the device.
    Posts(1405) | Reviews | Tip post

• vinclar Monday, October 27, 2008 5:38 AM Reply
    Yes it doesn't do the work of measure the fat on your body, it only do a calc with the data you entry on the gadget.
    So now I feel so bad to had spent 5.18$ with a thing that not does nothing at all. This product is a scam.
    And the proof is that I measure with my fingers and with a electric cable and the fat measure is the same.
    DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS
    Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by vinclar on 10/27/2008 at 5:39 AM
  • McAllan Tuesday, February 10, 2009 12:11 PM Reply
    Well, can't tell for this specific device...

But I have one that looks just like it and price not much different. It surely does some measurement based on the electrodes.

I think this thread completely overlook how this thing works - or at least is supposed to work.
    The body (and just about any conductive material for that matter) can be seen not just as a resistor but a complex network of resistors, capacitors and inductors. And sure adding fat to the body changes the "network".
    That's why it doesn't matter that much how dry your thumbs are as long as they're not completely dry.

Connecting the electrodes of my unit to an amplifier I can hear the "tones" it's sending though. Using different parts of the body the percentage can vary pretty much but they seem consistent except for the last digit (pretty normal).

The reason to input sex, age, weight and height is that the body changes with age etc. It needs something to compare the analyzed result with to make a good estimation. Yes - it's an estimation but not purely on the data input.
    There's no way to accurately measure fat percentage except taking samples or doing other high tech analysis - not something you do at home.
    None the less at said, it's pretty good doing an approximation. It agrees pretty close to a (much) more expensive Omron model bought later on.
    And after all whether your body fat is 18 % (as in my case with the Omron) or 17,6 as the cheaper noname model isn't that important - even if they're off by a couple of percentage points. The important information this device can give you is: Are you too fat? (probably don't need a dive to tell you that) And if you decide to do something about is - are you on right way to your goal?

Weight alone is not an indicator that you loose fat (most important) when exercising as many not overly obese people actually gain weight and they might be sad because the bathing scale it's telling them it's no good exercising. Well, then devices like this can tell them it's actually looking really good - they're loosing fat but gaining muscle mass - and after all from a health perspective it's not your weight that's important - it's how much of your weight is fat.
    Posts(51) | Reviews | Tip post

• Xumixu Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:52 AM Reply

It should, the electronics is not so complicated, it works as an impedancemeter.

But instead of using a copper wire, more acurate proof would be measure diferrent individuals, when input the same data.

Insultaion on copper just avoid conductive coupling, not capacitive one.

Posts(438) | Reviews | Tip post

• Xumixu Saturday, September 3, 2016 2:55 AM Reply

No need for high tech, you can use a calliper, but you have to know how to use it.

Posts(438) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere