Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

How much power does this draw?

• mrbill Friday, July 13, 2012 7:39 AM Reply
    If I wanted to run this off a 9v battery - how much power would the backlight draw? Can you switch it off if necessary?
    Posts(477) | Reviews | Tip post

• Allegro1 Friday, July 13, 2012 10:22 AM Reply
    Haven't had a chance to do this, but the backlight is controlled by PWM on D10. You simply program D10 as a PWM output, then:

analogWrite (10, fadeValue);

Where fadeValue is 0-255, 0 being off 255 being max brightness

It runs off of 5V which is regulated and supplied by the Arduino board. The backlight is a couple of white LED's so they don't draw very much power even when on.
    Posts(11) | Reviews | Tip post

• tekipui2 Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:20 AM Reply
    is it necessary to put a Resistor (to limit the current) between Arduino pin 10 and LCD shield pin 10?
    I hope not, but I would like, please, a confirmation before use it. I don't want my Arduino be fried!!
    Posts(21) | Reviews | Tip post

• chopsuwe Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:43 PM Reply

The resistor is necessary. My one had a 1k resistor under the LCD and was drawing over 120mA. A small modification will bring the current down to 5mA for the LCD + 18.mA for the backlight. It does require soldering. 

For more information search the arduino.cc forum for the thread "Topic: Warning to users of some vendors LCD keypad shields." Post 153 is my experience with this board.

Posts(6) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere