Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Best (real) Lumens for a buck? - Cave exploring

• jayduey Monday, October 15, 2012 1:16 PM Reply
    what huge flaw? Also, I would recomend making a flashlight, not buying, as you can get some pretty nice LEDs and flashlight shells here, then run the LEDs at full, not small fractions of full power as the ones you buy do.
    Posts(269) | Reviews | Tip post

• jpmaverick Monday, October 15, 2012 3:32 PM Reply
    Has anyone noticed the HUGE flaw in sheepish's picture??
    I find quite strange that the man is holding far away from the cave entrance (the big hole up there...) but I´m not actually a cave expert.
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory
    Posts(925) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 4:02 PM Reply
    Big holes in the ground (such as that pictured) are technically called "caves", not "flaws". It's not like gemstones where inclusions are called flaws. But yes, that is a HUGE one.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24946) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 4:06 PM Reply
    jpmaverck is correct. Even though it's obviously not a real picture, the rope should be hanging down through the hole.
    Otherwise, someone would have to crawl across the ceiling, upside down, to attach the rope.

There is another, but much smaller flaw, but it will require closer inspection. Can you find it?
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12567) | Reviews | Tip post

• jayduey Monday, October 15, 2012 4:18 PM Reply
    Unless it is known to be fake, it may yet be real. His rope actially goes to a smaller crack, and as we don't know what's below, there may be a reason for its position. If your other fault is that the sunbeam would have lit him, and the cave from underneath, he may just be in front of it, or the cave very deep (perhaps why he's rappelling from that crack in the first place, as opposed to chancing that his rope will be cut if he uses the edge of the rocks you can see instead. Or maybe he just can't find an anchor point. Okay, yes, it is probably fake, but I always like to look for possible reasons/rationalizations for abnormalities. Such as why I suddenly need a new flashlight (parts FINIALLY claimed to be shipping, but customer "service" is doing its best to confuse me as to whether or not they are), and why I have a feeling I should have chocolate chip cookies in my mail box.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 4:19 PM Reply
    it's obviously not a real picture

Careful now. You wouldn't want to sound like a troll, would you?
    http://www.nationalgeographicassignment.com/#/Stephen%20Alvarez/Caving/1/

PS. http://print.alvarezphotography.com/-/galleries/earth-from-below-prints/-/medias/76442fc2-03dc-11e0-8bc8-3d998ba80a76-climbing-out-of-majalis-al-jinn
    climbing out of Majalis al Jinn
    Ben Cadel climbing the big drop of Majalis al Jinn, Oman. He is going up 600 feet to get out of one of the largest cave rooms in the world.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24946) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by sheepish on 10/15/2012 at 4:32 PM
  • jayduey Monday, October 15, 2012 4:20 PM Reply
    okay, the last sentence made no sense...

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 4:37 PM Reply
    There is no rationalizing suddenly needing a new light. Just like there is no rationalizing why I made all those ^$!%&($^%
    cookies. Don't bother checking your mailbox. My grandson ate them all. 10,156 of them.

Almost forgot; the rope doesn't extend past the light shaft. Up or down. :)
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12567) | Reviews | Tip post

• jayduey Monday, October 15, 2012 5:16 PM Reply

C:\Users\john\Pictures\Watership down\not dake cave bot top
    img src: C:\Users\john\Pictures\Watership down\not dake cave bot top

if this image works, its in the red box. if not, just zoom in on the picture. The rope is faint because the cave and rope are both dark, and out of the light beam, there is no white backround on which to see the rope. It is, however, there. If you point out the darker patch of rock, and how the rope can't just "disappear" there, thats because there isn't enough contrast between the two to see it.

• jayduey Monday, October 15, 2012 5:17 PM Reply
    dang, image didn't work. How do you post pictures?

Page 2 of 6
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere