Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Best (real) Lumens for a buck? - Cave exploring

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 5:21 PM Reply
    They need to be somewhere on the web (like a free image hosting service; I normally use tinypic.com). You cannot just link to pics on your hard drive.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24957) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 5:54 PM Reply
    I stand corrected. And a little embarressed. I don't have zoom on this antique laptop, but I went and got a good magnifying glass, and did see the rope.

I also "assumed" the image was from an Indiana Jones movie.

Oh well, at least it gave everyone something to do for a little while. :)

P.S.; I still don't understand why the rope isn't coming through the opening, or how it was fastened where ever it is fastened.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12577) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 6:19 PM Reply
    It's possibly safer away from the opening because there'll be fewer falling rocks - it's a long climb which means a long time on rope and a long way for rocks to pick up speed before hitting a climber.

As jayduey mentioned, there may also be other entrances/cracks/passages at the top we cannot see, or he/she was aiming for something on the floor more appropriate for landing on than a big pile of loose stuff that might be dangerous to climb down. It might be a combination of a whole bunch of things.

Or it might just have made a good photo.
    Remembering 30 years.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 6:26 PM Reply
    Thanks sheepish. I guess that does make sense. And why some people, (me), have no business in caves.
    Ask them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 6:33 PM Reply
    I know people about your age who cave. It gives them a good excuse to buy torches...

"Hey sheepish, I'm going to this cave in Oman where the ceiling is 600' away. How bright a light do I need to buy?" (Sadly not an actual question I've been asked.)

Which raises a good way to segue back to the original question. Have you bought anything yet Nuppi?
    Remembering 30 years.

• jayduey Monday, October 15, 2012 7:02 PM Reply
    600', BUAHAHAHA!!!!

seriously, I mean it. I would say a few 200W leds
    Posts(269) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 7:08 PM Reply
    I guess Mr Alvarez used a brighter light than that in the above photo. (Did you see the PS I added to my post on page 2?)
    Remembering 30 years.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 7:08 PM Reply
    Thanks again sheepish. You've given me a great excuse... er... uh... reason to order another light. In "case," LOL, I ever go caving. My wife will laugh so hard that she'll probably let me order it as a reward.

I think the fandyfire uv-s5 will be good for a "starter" cave light. :)
    Ask them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, October 15, 2012 10:46 PM Reply
    It gets better: As you age you need more light to be able to see things clearly, so sku.120679 would be a good choice. Mind you, I recommend a helmet-mounted light for a starter cave light, but then you'd need something bright to light up large chambers.

PS. I figure it's 1800lm not 3000lm.
    Remembering 30 years.

post edited by sheepish on 10/15/2012 at 10:52 PM
  • Nuppi Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:37 PM Reply
    I ended up ordering the sku.120679 FandyFire UV-S5 CREE XM-L T6.

But delivering seemed to take a while so today i canceled the order.
    Also noticed that the clicky on that needs a full click to change mode, High-Low-Off.
    So it is not like full press to On, half press to change mode and full press to turn off.
    So one extra click to power it off, no biggy, but im as lazy as it gets :p

About the lumens, i'm sure the 1800 this FandyFire provides would be enough..
    But still im starting to again to look at the sku.112817 TR-J12 Cree XM-L T6 Which propably would give around 2500 lumens.
    Dont know how big of a difference that would make tho.
    Haven't found any beamshot comparison :(

Anyhow i'll get either of those soon :)
    Propably the TR-J12 Cree XM-L T6 if it ships soon or the Fandyfire later on.
    As always hints are welcome :)
    Posts(39) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 3 of 6
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere