DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Electronics)
Electronics

changing gps from northern to southern hemisphere,

• philtga Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:26 PM Reply
    bought a 4.3 gps when i was in canada, now i am home in new zealand it won't work, brought the new zealand maps but only shows northern hemisphere maps. any way of changing it?
  • waitaki Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:40 AM Reply
    What satnav program does it have?
    BTW, greetings from North Otago!
  • ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:05 PM Reply
    Any GPS will work in the Southern as well as the Northern hemisphere. It is a matter of installing the right maps for the OS of your unit.
    Check what type of operating system your GPS has installed, for instance Win CE 5.0, CE 6.0, Android etc.
    Most map providers have different versions of the same maps to suit the different OS's.

See... No Sig!
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:22 AM Reply
    Ha, I thought this thread was going to be more amusing. (I once had a Northern hemisphere telescope motor drive which wasn't any use at all in the Southern hemisphere. It was an AC motor and couldn't run backward.) The thread title should really mention changing the maps or country data. It's not a hemisphere problem at all. Just figure out what map format you need.
    Back in business.
  • jpmaverick Sunday, October 21, 2012 1:58 PM Reply
    I thought you´d need something like this for your GPS

http://www.hwdyk.com/q/images/bartvsaustralia_08.jpg
    img src: http://www.hwdyk.com/q/images/bartvsaustralia_08.jpg

but ok, the maps thing they are telling you is also correct...
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory
    Posts(891) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by jpmaverick on 10/21/2012 at 1:59 PM
  • ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 21, 2012 4:00 PM Reply
    Aw come on guys, I was going to leave this one alone!
    philtga, totally disregard anything you read since the word "sheepish" above.
    @gasbag11 You're somewhere up there in the top half aren't you? If I send you my GPS could you test mounting it upside down on your windscreen? I'd just like to be sure.

And jpmaverick, I'm pretty sure that hose should be wound around the bowl anti-clockwise! ;p

See... No Sig!
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:27 PM Reply
    @ozOzo; I would be glad to do it. One question though. Would we only be able to drive in reverse?
    You know, The reverse rotation thing?

PS. Have you had any trouble seeing page 2 of latest posts? Sorry for going off topic, but I keep getting ERROR 500.
    CEO: Flashlight Nutters Anonymous
    Geezer Division
  • ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:16 PM Reply
    No probs opening Page 2 here... There are three ways of doing it and all of them are working OK.

See... No Sig!
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:36 PM Reply
    Tried all three. ERROR 500. If I ever get my hands on that stupid bag!!!!!!!!!

EDIT PS. Nor will it let me see the " okay I give up-how does this thing work" thread.

RE-EDIT; very weird. Chrome won't let me see them, but IE will. I think this laptop hates me. :)
    CEO: Flashlight Nutters Anonymous
    Geezer Division
    Posts(6171) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 10/21/2012 at 8:01 PM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:11 PM Reply
    Phil, just ignore what ozOzo says after the word "sheepish" above. He likes to mess with New Zealanders' heads so he's now trying to confuse you.
    Back in business.
Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Electronics)
Electronics

Subject:

* 50 characters max

* 5000 characters max
Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections