DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Suitable for Magicshine MJ-808 P7?

• adamgl Friday, November 23, 2012 6:30 AM Reply
    I've got a Magicshine MJ-808 with a P7 led that has a blown driver circuit.

Can someone please suggest what the best replacement driver circuit for that model would be. http://dx.com/162787 is another option however, the diameter is slightly different.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  • Janmee @DX Staff Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:11 PM Reply
    @sheepish, could you help him?
    I am a DX staff from product department
    @Janmee, I will find you.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, November 25, 2012 11:30 PM Reply
    I think @desolder is more knowledgeable about both products, and @cyclist might know the light.
    Can't fix stupid.
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, November 26, 2012 12:26 AM Reply
    adamgl - I would use sku.162787 since it gives more current. The original driver outputs 2.4A, so sku.162787 will give you less light than the original, but more light thank this sku, which is only set for 1.5A.

Have you disassembled your magicshine and measured the driver diameter?
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

• adamgl Monday, November 26, 2012 1:26 PM Reply
    Thanks for the reply desolder - I did consider purchasing the driver with the higher current, however, the reason I wanted to speak to someone who has actually experimented with these drivers is because dx is not always 100% accurate when quoting power figures.
    I have disassembled the light, unfortunately, i dont have a measuring device accurate to 0.1mm.
    Also, I'm curious to find out the height and dimensions of the clicky switch on the board. BTW the original driver circuit is labelled with 'MJ-259D'. Any additional info would be great - Thanks!

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, November 26, 2012 10:57 PM Reply
    Don't worry about being accurate to 0.1mm. I doubt even the original drivers could maintain that level of consistency from batch to batch. As long as you're within 1mm, then the driver should fit fine. If it's slightly too big, then you can sand it down to fit in the "pill".

The switch is not actually a "clicky switch" in the usual sense. It does not carry any current for the LED itself, so it has a very low power rating. It also does not perform any latching. It is only for generating a very low power, momentary signal that is used to make the controller switch modes. DX sells similar switches, e.g. sku.123669.

If you want to get back to the original 2.4A output current, then you can try modifying sku.162787 to increase the current from 2.0A. This can be done by reducing the sense resistance, for example by piggybacking more SMD resistors on top of the original sense resistor.

Posts(5557) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by desolder on 11/26/2012 at 11:05 PM
  • adamgl Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:38 AM Reply
    Thanks desolder,
    order placed - i will update with my results (probably in a month or more when the driver arrives).
    Can you please point me in the right direction to find more info on modifying/upgrading LED driver circuits as you mentioned.
    Appreciate your help!
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:36 PM Reply
    Check out budgetlightforum.com or candlepowerforums.com. There's a ton of information there.

Generally when I want to try modding any light, I start with a search for the datasheet of the LED driver IC. Once you get the datasheet, then you can see which pins do what, and how the driver IC uses external components to determine how much current to send to the LED.

• kevind43 Friday, December 14, 2012 10:15 AM Reply
    hey guys,

any ideas on how to eliminate the blinky modes on this driver. i still want to keep the low-high.

thanks

kevin
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, December 14, 2012 3:17 PM Reply
    @Janmee here's another person who does not want flashing modes.

kevind43 you would have to reprogram or replace the driver. We've been asking for lights with non-flashing modes for years.
    Can't fix stupid.
Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

* 5000 characters max
Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections