Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

RGB LED inside?

• krogsgaard20 Saturday, December 29, 2012 12:45 PM Reply
    Does this product contain an RGB LED or is it just multiple single-colored LEDs?
    And will it be possible to hack this and use it as a controller for sku.4530 if I use a voltage reducer to power it with 3V?
    Thank you.
    Posts(48) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, December 29, 2012 4:15 PM Reply
    Just single colour LEDs.

No. You need to power it with enough voltage for the green and blue LEDs. I run mine an 3xAA cells.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24949) | Reviews | Tip post

• krogsgaard20 Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:40 PM Reply
    But what is the right voltage then? I thought this one used 3V
    Posts(48) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, December 29, 2012 6:49 PM Reply
    You thought wrong. There are several threads which discuss it (the batteries, not you being wrong).
    Remembering 30 years.

• firethorn Friday, December 25, 2015 10:54 AM Reply

It is a 2 pin RGB led that automatically slow fades between colours. The power required is, according to googling, 50mA @ 4.5V, which is right about what 3x LR44s provide.

Posts(137) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, December 25, 2015 7:01 PM Reply

That's interesting. When I bought it, it had a little control board and separate LEDs, which was very handy because I used the control board in another device with transistors and a high power RGB LED similar to (or maybe the same as) the one krogsgaard20 linked. It's not too surprising that specs of Chinese products change but it's a pity that it's less useful as a component source now.

Remembering 30 years.

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere