DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

works on Linux?

• jhgreenstein Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:36 PM Reply
    Can this be used for operating a remote mouse on a Linux DVR?
  • jhgreenstein Saturday, January 05, 2013 11:24 AM Reply
    Do you know this for a fact ie from experience with this unit? I ask because I have tried a number of these extenders and they DON'T work because they only contain Windows drivers.
    There are units on the market which do work with Unix but they are very expensive.
  • jhgreenstein Wednesday, January 09, 2013 2:12 PM Reply
    There are a few wireless mice that work with Linux but they're not reliable over a more than a few meters and/or through walls.
    I've tried two or three extenders on Linux and they didn't work and I then used them on Windows XP without issue. I got them on DX a couple of years ago so they are possibly the same ones on sale now. I may be wrong but I think they load their own drivers when you connect them. What I have done is use cat5 to extend the usb cable and I've managed around 10m at most and the mouse movement is a bit jerky.
    I've tried them on three different Linux DVRS. Anteco, Provision and Dahua.
    Thanks
    Jonny
  • jhgreenstein Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:16 AM Reply
    'misconceptions, misinformation and right down falsehoods' seems a little emotive?
    Re your comment on USB mice. I've tried many different types and some work and some don't. If you don't believe me and you have access to a DVR, try it for yourself if your interested. The same goes for wireless mice.
    Another fact is that the extenders I have tried did not work on the three different DVRs I tried them on.
    Whether the reason is low power or limited functionality of the embedded Linux is not really relevant. The bottom line is that they don't work.
    It's not so strange to use a mouse remotely from a system with a remote screen. It't much more reliable than using a pc or tablet on wifi, less cost, more immediate, less exposure to equipment theft etc etc
  • jhgreenstein Thursday, January 10, 2013 4:38 AM Reply
    Can't work out where your anger comes from.
    The title was not misleading at all. I was asking if the unit works on Linux. You shouldn't have answered if it upsets you so much.
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

* 5000 characters max
Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections