DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Antenna combo

• JohnBJ Saturday, February 09, 2013 7:18 AM Reply
    A) This will work in Denmark, Europe boosting 3G signal?

B)I have about 2-3/5 bars outside and 1 inside. - Will this antenna work outside: http://dx.com/p/2-4ghz-800-2500mhz-8-10dbi-high-gain-antenna-for-cdmi-gsm-3g-gprs-gps-phs-network-n-female-29507 (SKU 29507) ?

C) The cable looks short on this antenna(SKU29507) - I need an extension/KU?

D) I plan this antenna inside: http://dx.com/p/gsm-base-station-antenna-900mhz-1800mhz-5188 (SKU 5188) - Is there any other (nicer) design of antenne that would work inside?

It is 3G reception I wish to gain so I need repeater and both antenna in compliance with 3G i Denmark.

Thank you so much!
  • BergExtreme Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:33 AM Reply
    I don't know which frequency band your phone company offers and your cellphone supports.

A). Band I (W-CDMA 2100) is used in most countries in Europe. Your phone company must provide 2100MHz frequency band and this device is compatible with it. The company may offer 800, 900, 2600MHz band but this device does not support these bands. Ask your phone company about offered frequency bands and read manual of your cellphone for supported bands.

B). Seems fine except that it does not support 2600MHz band.

C). See my comment on that product.

D). As I wore above. You need to confirm the band coverage for (both inside/outside) antennas.

If you are in a building or condo, you can try to hook up two antennas with a cable (without amplifier). By just wiring inside and outside antennas (use good cable which covers 2500MHz range), it improves reception of cellphone signal. If you don't feel its sufficient, you can add amplifier later. Good luck.
  • JohnBJ Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:18 AM Reply
    BergExtreme: thanks a lot for your answers.

I'd like to first follow your advise on simply hooking up a indoor antenna directly with an outdoor antenna and see what results that will get me. Then later add a amplifier if needed. As far as I can find out, Denmark uses mostly 900 Mhz and for 3G(UMTS) 2100 Mhz.

I'd like to cover both, but can only find one indoor antenna that will cover the range: http://dx.com/p/indoor-800-2500mhz-ceiling-antenna-adapter-for-gsm-cdma-pcs-3g-wlan-network-n-female-181981 (SKU181981)

It is for ceiling mounting, which doesn't work to well for me - are there really no other indoor antennas for 900 + 2100 Mhz?
  • BergExtreme Monday, February 11, 2013 3:16 AM Reply
    sku.181981 seems fine and you can put it anywhere not only on ceiling but on wall or bookshelf, etc. It seems omnidirectional antenna and sku.29507 is a directional antenna. You need to set them at proper direction to get the best result. You can settle an outdoor antenna in your room, too.
  • JohnBJ Monday, February 11, 2013 6:49 AM Reply
    SKU181981: in order to get the cable out you need to mount it on something you drill a hole all the eay through, as far as I can tell. - I suppose I can just mount it onto a box and the mount the box on the wall in the room, in order to have the cable come out at 90 degrees.

- How can you tell SKU29507 is a directional antenna? I am looking for a omnidirectional outdoor antenne ranging 900 + 2100 Mhz. What do I look for to make sure it is not directional?
  • BergExtreme Monday, February 11, 2013 9:55 AM Reply
    @JohnBJ

Most of flat antennas are directional. It is usually a patch antenna, microstrip antenna, planar inverted F antenna, or wraparound antenna and/or their stacks (usually 8dBi or more). These antennas have power direction in right angle from the antenna surface and is to be mounted vertically on wall. (If a wall-mount adapter comes with it or it has wedge- or triangle-shaped mount holes on its rear panel to hook it on nails or screws, it is probably a directional antenna.)

High-gain omnidirectional antennas usually look like a long stick (whip antenna). Some may have circular/conical/rounder parts. There are some omnidirectional flat panel antennas and they are to be mounted horizontally on roof or ceiling. They are usually loop antennas and are not high-gain antennas (around 2-4dBi).

edit=typo
    Posts(1952) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by BergExtreme on 2/12/2013 at 9:35 AM
  • JohnBJ Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:35 AM Reply
    Thank you much for usefull information. I, and probably many others, learn from you :)

Since I do not know the location of my mobile company's tower/transmitters and since I do have some signal - I'd like to try first with a omnidirectional outdoor(and indoor) antenne. I would like to cover 900Mhz(Voice) and 2100 Mhz(3G UMTS data)

But I can not find any such outdoor omnidirectional antenna on DX, which covers 900+2100 Mhz. Can anyone else find SKU of such?
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

* 5000 characters max
Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections