DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Electronics)
Electronics

Power supply for mr16 led lights

• patok Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:51 AM Reply
    Hi all,

I am wondering if I can use power supply sku:82748 to power one mr16 led light sku:102216 ?
    I am replacing 6 50w halogen lights for the above led lights and would need to use one power supply per light assy. as access is not the best.

Thanks

Patok
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:16 AM Reply
    sku.102216 is designed to plug directly into a 12VAC power source. You shouldn't need a separate power supply. What voltage is your existing MR16 light system?
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

• patok Friday, February 22, 2013 12:03 PM Reply
    Hi desolder

Thanks for the reply. The mr16s that I am replacing are 12vac and each one has a transformer on it for 230vac input 11.5vac output. They have "halagon light transformer" written on them. Will they power the led mr16 bulbs ok? or will they have strobing effect? I thought the transformers for halogen lights are not suitable?
    Thanks again,

Pat.
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, February 25, 2013 5:03 PM Reply
    I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you have a single 230VAC to 11.5VAC transformer powering several 12VAC MR16 incandescent bulbs? If this is the case, then sku.102216 will work as a direct swap for your old 12VAC MR16 incandescent bulbs. You won't need any additional transformers or drivers.

The "halogen light transformer" is just a simple step down transformer. It can power anything that will use 12VAC. It doesn't have to specifically be for halogen light bulbs.

• patok Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:02 AM Reply
    The 12vac halogen bullbs I want to replace do have a transformer on each one. I suppose my question really is if the led mr16 lamps (sku:102216) will accept the 11.5 volts AC from the original transformer? and also if they would perform better with a led power supply? (12 volts DC)

Its not stated on the product page if they will accept AC... : (Rated Voltage: 11-18V)
    Although they do not mention DC either....

Thanks again,

Pat.
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:38 PM Reply
    It should take 12V (or 11.5V) AC. I would be very surprised if it did not. There were three reviewers of this bulb, and they all gave it good reviews. I assume they have standard 12VAC systems, and at least one of them would have complained of it didn't work with 12VAC.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:54 PM Reply
    One other thought, some of those halogen transformers only work properly if they have a big enough load (like a halogen bulb), so you might have to run several LED bulbs on each transformer.
    Back in business.
«Reply to this thread (in Electronics)
Electronics

Subject:

* 50 characters max

* 5000 characters max
Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections