Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Suggest the charger please

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, May 2, 2013 1:29 AM Reply
    Hermaphrodite connectors or just gender confused? If I understand correctly what you are saying, you are connecting, er, associating "male" with "plug" simply because plugs are exposed. I agree with that general idea of a plug but exposure is not how male and female connectors are defined.

* By the look of it the battery has a male connector and the charger has a female connector. I prefer to just use "socket" and "plug" respectively to avoid gender confusion.

* you call the line fitting on the power pack cable the plug?

Um... nope. I clearly called it a socket.

starush, what do you mean by "inner cylindrical contact"? Wrapping aluminium foil around a centre hole to reduce it from a 2.5mm hole to a 2.1mm hole doesn't sound right.

BTW Oz, a while back I Error Reported that pair of adapters (sku.194869) to get the genders removed. Too much confusion. And they were wrong. :)
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• starush Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:52 AM Reply
    Oh, you guys love to discuss ;-)
    "inner cylindrical contact" — i mean a barrel with inner contact surface.
    Yes, putting a foil inside, to reduce inner diameter of "barrel" is not too right ;-) but it is temporary workaround. Just because I need to charge the battery right now.
    Posts(110) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:05 AM Reply
    "Barrel" doesn't compute either. Do you mean the inner surface of the socket (the connector which has a pin in the middle of it) or the inner surface of the plug (the connector which has a rather narrow hole in the middle of it)?
    Remembering 30 years.

• starush Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:07 AM Reply
    I mean inner surface of the hole in the middle, so you call it plug ;)

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:19 AM Reply
    (And you don't call that a plug?) I hope you're using heavy weight foil. Getting the thin stuff jammed in the bottom of a narrow hole would be a pain.

Yes the adapters recommended by ozOzo should work (assuming DX got the details the right way around).
    Remembering 30 years.

• starush Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:32 AM Reply
    I'm sorry. I call it "connector" with further description just because English is not my native language.

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:12 AM Reply
    Darn it! I had most of this written before dinner and came back to find you had it worked out!.. while I was still working on the graphics... so I'm going to post it anyway as is.
    @starush If you haven’t ordered already, it may be best to hold off until this is sorted.
    Let’s answer sheepish’s question first.
    The connection I believe he is talking about is between the socket (a) of the battery pack and the yellow tipped plug (b) on your charger. My understanding is that the larger diameter of both (a) and (b) is 5.5mm and a snug fit but the diameter of the pin in (a) is 2.1mm and the hole in (b) is 2.5mm. That is the hole you have packed with foil to make a better contact, is that correct?

http://i.imgur.com/IqGGVRf.png
    img src: http://i.imgur.com/IqGGVRf.png

Hmm, we still seem to have our wires crossed sheepish. (no pun intended) ;)

I guess my associating “plugs” and “male” does have a bit to do with the conductors being exposed but that is not the only reason. I think of the interface between appliances and peripherals (excuse me if those are not correct terms), having the female socket inbuilt to the appliance and the male plug generally on a cable coming from the peripheral. That seems to me how it works whether the connection is power, USB, HDMI, TRS or phone jacks, RCA, and I think most others. I imagine this is not only so sockets can be contained within the box neatly, without fittings protruding, but mainly because that is the side that power is coming from. As with a simple extension lead the power comes from the power point in the wall which is female, so that conductors are less likely to come in contact with fingers or other conductors not designed to fit them.

Similarly with this battery pack, although the socket in this case is on a cable and not built in flush, it is what I call female because that is the direction the power is coming from. I have this feeling though, that you are about to tell me I’m wrong… Be gentle. :)
    Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by ozOzo on 5/9/2013 at 7:13 PM
  • starush Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:27 AM Reply
    @ozOzo, correct, I placed a little roll of foil into the hole in Plug (b), to have a better contact.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:28 AM Reply
    LOL. Place plug B into socket B... I love it!

the female socket inbuilt to the appliance and the male plug generally on a cable coming from the peripheral

Yes that's normally the case, er, situation, which is the main reason why these connectors are so gender confusing. But hey, male seahorses gestate their young - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse#Reproduction.

The gender of coaxial power connectors are determined by the presence or absence of a centre prong, not by their use or purpose. To put it another way, it's anatomical, not functional.
    Remembering 30 years.

• starush Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:30 AM Reply
    That's why I preferred to not call THESE things by words "plug", "socket", "female, "male" ;-)

Page 2 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere