Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Petition to be allowed to delete a DX account.

• Grantly Monday, May 27, 2013 2:00 AM Reply
    Did you try and delete your account and were told that DX policy is no account delete?

Do you want your account deleted? Why doesn't matter.

Post your petition by way of reply to let DX know you want DX to make it a option to delete your account.

I WANT TO DELETE MY DX ACCOUNT.... Personally I will NEVER USE DX AGAIN.
    Posts(11) | Reviews | Tip post

• Voriki Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 27, 2013 2:59 AM Reply
    So...stop using it?
    unhappy and grumpy about DX
    Why I'm (temporary) back on the forums:
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1447763
    Posts(6762) | Reviews | Tip post

• Grantly Monday, May 27, 2013 5:07 AM Reply
    Voriki thanks for your comment. I don't use DX anymore. HOWEVER....

DX hold details of me as an individual. I will never use DX again therefore I want my personal details deleted.

Isn't that reasonable?

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 27, 2013 5:49 AM Reply
    I have to side with Grantly this time.

+1
    ALWAYS ask questions about a specific item on its
    page. Scroll down and click on "Post a new topic".
    Posts(11909) | Reviews | Tip post

• Voriki Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 27, 2013 5:53 AM Reply
    In a way, I have to +1 too.
    I rather +1 the general principle for a customers complete management of their account(changing e-mail and finally stopping the newsletter for those who wish to unsubscribe).

Then again, I can't stop thinking of the many people who've been known to stop using a certain service and wishing to be removed from the customer database, only to be returning months later, albeit that's a very small number. But fine,a deletion button it is, as long as the user has to click a gazillion(or 2) buttons to confirm that he really wishes to remove his account.

EDIT: oh,don't forget, not even Facebook supports account deletion, they do however let de-activate your account, but not delete.

post edited by Voriki on 5/27/2013 at 5:55 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 27, 2013 6:06 AM Reply
    Big bold letters stating; "You are about to permanetly delete your DX account", before clicking the last button, should make it obvious enough to everyone.

I'd be a nervous wreck by the end of the day if I deleted my account, but customers should have that right. Plus it's not that hard to open another one if they no longer can stand it. :D

edit - I doubt if it's possible to TRULY delete account or personal info on any site. Marketers, retailers, or any website will practically fight to the death to keep every bit of info. they can.

I think it's more a matter of "burying" one's info and make it unusable (to the individual) than truly deleting it.

In the computer world, information is King.

post edited by gasbag11 on 5/27/2013 at 6:24 AM
  • Grantly Monday, May 27, 2013 7:17 AM Reply
    Actually Vorika you can delete your facebook account. I had one for a while and I did get it permanently deleted. http://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674

Gasbag 11-- Information is indeed king but in all my internet surfing and signing up to various sites. I personally haven't come across a complete non delete policy like DX has. Generally companies respect the customer since it is the customers experience and the customers word of mouth that will "sell" the company as good or bad more then all the glossy advertisements.

Could I suggest you do a quick search for "delete DX account" in the forum search. You will find that is a commonly asked question. I don't speak languages other english so I can only search in english. So I wonder just how many times it has been asked? 'Please sir can I delete my DX account?'....

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 27, 2013 8:00 AM Reply
    Grantly; I've only been active in this forum for just under a year and I really don't remember more than 3 ~4 people asking to delete their accounts. It could have been a whole lot more though.

I don't disagree with you, but I think you missed my point. Was your facebook account TRULY deleted? Just because they said so?

This is a "statistics driven world". Companies are Not going to give up those statistics willingly. The more statistics and info a company has, the easier it is for them to sell to/target customers.

Your facebook account may be deleted to you, or someone trying to get your info, but TOTALLY deleted? I doubt it.

For most cases, deletion of an account info is enough to keep it from outsiders.

I was once told by a very computer savvy person, that every thing I've ever deleted in my computer is still in there, if you know where to look.

But to get back on topic, I agree with you that any site should make it possible to delete an account.

• Voriki Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 27, 2013 8:37 AM Reply
    I was once told by a very computer savvy person, that every thing I've ever deleted in my computer is still in there, if you know where to look.
    True.

What's data? Just bits of 1's and 0's, they get "written" on a spinning disk(hard drive) or on a flash drive memory. But how does the computer know what bits are those you need? That's because there's some sort of index library, which tells the computer that file A is in sector G of the harddrive.
    It's also the librarian that saveguards files by sometimes rearranging the files(lets call them books to use simpler terms) in order to clear some shelves, to store new books.
    So what if you want to burn...erm, delete a book? You can either go to the book, look for it, and start deleting it into nothingness by rewriting every single bit(or word)...or,you you can mindwipe the librarian in a cool MIB-style into forgetting that book ever existed.
    And when the time comes that the shelf that forgotten book is stored upon is needed to place new books, then and only then the book is really thrown away(to put it simply, in reaclitiy it can still be retraced through dificult and expensive ways).

So, a simple deletion of a file is forgetting where the book is,and let yourself lose it, and as long as the librarian hasn't thrown it away yet, it can still be found by doing a long inventory check thoughtout the entire erm...library.

But that's something entirely different, I'm assuming in account deletion, that they do not want DX to longer posses the knowledge where Grantly lives and such.
    Now for Facebook they offered an online service, which is just that, a service, they no longer need your name, or homeaddress after you stop using their services.
    (and even I don't believe they truly delete it for legal reasons, what if you make a threat, police gets involved, you delete account so no more evidence against you?)

DX on the other hand gives a physical service, they sent a package,they produced a tracking number,they gave you good,they can't delete your name and address from their database and statistics because that would mean they'd be removing orders made in the past, and that would be a form of fraud.

So deletion of your personal information from DX database = impossible
    Prohibiting you and anyone else without proper clearance to your account for any future endeavors = should be possible.

• Grantly Monday, May 27, 2013 8:55 AM Reply
    I would agree with you that behind the scenes perhaps their are details still there with Facebook. However my account is gone and not accessible by me. Additionally their is only so far I can go to assure my personal details are kept safe. If facebook kept anything that I posted on it... they really would need to get a life. As for my user statistics... sure I can see that I would be included in the collated data they collect.

For tech experts I am sure they could engineer a method that deletes ALL the personal data no matter where it is hidden and leave the statistics that have been collated. It is not like all data is always relevant.

I had a quick look in the forums about just how many asked to have their account deleted... it seems the number is like you said. That said you would probably notice that this post is my first use of DX's forum. I generally don't post questions I read and search what others find and directly contact companies for help when I need it if I can't find it in their FAQ or help files or as a last resort post to a forum. The point? The views on the various requests would seem to indicate more then 3 or 4 would be interested in deleting their account.

I appreciate your comments but this was more about a petition then a debate. For any who have read to this point: Put a +1 and post it to say you think it should be DX policy.

Page 1 of 4
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere