Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Suitable for Apple devices?

• Ohm711 Monday, October 28, 2013 7:10 PM Reply
    Hi,
    is this charger suitable for Apple devices? That means if is on data pins aprox 2V and 2.8V. Some Apple device will not charge without this voltage on data pins.
    Thanks
    Posts(34) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ohm711 Monday, October 28, 2013 7:26 PM Reply
    And this is the problem....
    Android - data pins must be shorted for identifying as AC charger. If is on data pins nothing or voltage it is identify as USB charger.
    Some Apple device (iPod classic) will not charge from Android charger. It need Apple charger with voltage (2V and 2.8V) on data pins.
    So, my question is: have this charger voltage for data pins? If not, it is useless for me...
    Or inside could be some electronic, which provide 100% functionality with android and Apple devices. But I need to know before I buy it.
    Thanks.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:33 AM Reply
    Vladlenin - "Android" chargers typically have the D+ and D- shorted together to indicate fast charging. Otherwise the phone will limit itself to 500mA or less.

Ohm711 - Each port has a different current rating. What that really means is anyone's guess, but I suspect the "3A" port has the D+ and D- configured for 2.1A charging if iPads, (2.0V on D+ and 2.7V on D-). Unfortunately, DX does not test most of their USB power sources, so you often just have to buy it and find out for yourself.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ohm711 Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:43 PM Reply
    By Android charger I ment this which is identify as AC charger - shorted data pins.
    Ofcourse it will work with almost any charger, but it is identify as USB and current is max 500mA.

As I said, maybe is inside electronic, which provide functionality with most devices. For example I bought sku.222499 It work with apple devices same as original charger, but also it works with my android prohne (as AC charger). But it will not work with my nokia N86...

I bought this charger yesterday, so when it arrive I will write here how it works.

• Ohm711 Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:51 PM Reply
    Today arrived. And is bad... :-(
    This charger is NOT Suitable for Apple devices. Data pins are shorted, so this charger is for Android and other.
    iPod classic 80GB will not charge, because on data pins is not appropriate voltage.
    This charger is useless for me. $11 gone... :-(

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:49 AM Reply
    Ohm711, have you checked all 5 ports with you iPod? The ports may be configured differently. Or do all 5 ports have shorted D-/D+ lines?

post edited by desolder on 12/11/2013 at 12:50 AM
  • Ohm711 Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:05 AM Reply
    Ofcourse I tried all 5 USBs. My android phone says on all 5 "AC charging" and iPod classic 6G 80 GB will not charge on all 5.
    I am not shure if data pins are shorted or is there someting else...
    I will dissasemble charge and post photos. Inside are two very bright blue LEDs, so I need remove them.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, December 12, 2013 2:02 AM Reply
    OK let us know what you find out. There might be empty spots on the circuit board for the presumably missing voltage divider resistors. If you don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with customer serivce and have a stock of resistors, it's not too difficult to set it up for Apple charging.

• Ohm711 Monday, December 16, 2013 4:04 AM Reply
    So, I finaly had some time to test this charger properly.
    As I said, it charge my android phone and it says "AC charging" and it will not charge iPod classic. I thought, that data pins are shorted.
    Now i connected cable and measured data pint. They are NOT shorted! So, I measured voltage on data pins. On one was 2V and on second 2.7V. What the hell? So why this charger will not charge iPod Classic and why android says "AC charging"? I tried connect my phone to genuine Apple charger and it also says "AC charging". Ok, last time I tested this was on android 2.3 and with apple charger it was "USB chargig". I think that android 4.1 takes apple charger as AC charger too. OK this is solved, but why this charger will not charge iPod even if on data pins as voltage?
    I connected cable in to Apple charger and measured voltage on data pins. On green wire is 2V and on white is 2.7V. Now I connected USB cable in this charger and measured voltage on data pins. On green wire is 2.7V and on white is 2.0V. WTF? They switched resistors!
    So I disassembled charger and switched R20 with R21 and R29 with R30. Now I have 2V on green wire and 2.7V on white wire and charger charges apple devices how I waned. YES!

As you can see from photo, inside are two very bright blue LEDs. Should be 4, but 2 is missing... but resistors are inside... I will remove LEDs anyway, or maybe I will install bigger resistor, so brightness will be much smaller.
    You can see bad soldering on lots places....

And description is wrong. All USBs are connected parallel. So, it does not matter which USB you use. If you use 1 USB (no matter which one) you have all 3A, if you use 2 USBs (again no matter which two) you have 1.5A per USB. And etc.

Here are some photos:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img194/3332/wr72.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img51/4514/8lfh.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img706/8393/4kj8.jpg

Sorry for my english. But maybe it will help to someone...

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:37 AM Reply
    I connected cable in to Apple charger and measured voltage on data pins. On green wire is 2V and on white is 2.7V. Now I connected USB cable in this charger and measured voltage on data pins. On green wire is 2.7V and on white is 2.0V. WTF? They switched resistors! So I disassembled charger and switched R20 with R21 and R29 with R30. Now I have 2V on green wire and 2.7V on white wire and charger charges apple devices how I waned. YES!

This is normal for high power (2.1A) apple chargers. In order to signal 2.1A capability, the D-/D+ voltages are swapped compared to the 1.0A chargers. I suspect your Ipod classic is just too old to identify the 2.1A capable chargers. Anyway, I'm glad to see you got it working once you swapped the resistors. Since you don't have an Ipad, losing the ability to charge at 2.1A is not a problem.

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere