Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

DX asks for credit card photo on a PayPal purchase

• kkmlk Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:02 AM Reply
    I've received an email from DX requesting me to send them all kinds of private documentation including passport photos, credit card photos, bills etc.

I've seen people complain about similar issues before, but they said they paid with credit cards and paying with paypal resolved the issues. The thing is, in my case I paid with PayPal in the first place. I see no justifiable reason for DX to request all this private info from me. I don't trust DX to keep it safe and I don't think they need to know it either.

The funny thing is that the order is just for less than $30 total. And it's not my first order either.

Completely ridiculous.

Posts(16) | Reviews | Tip post

• Simonetti2010 Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:19 AM Reply
    Are you sure it is from DX ?

Check the source of the e-mail (or the orginal message, as Google calls it), to see if the sender's address is really @dx.com

This looks like some scam or fraud attempt, because I've never even heard that DX asks for this kind of personal - and very sensitive - info.
    "I’m addicted to placebos. I’d give them up, but it
    wouldn’t make any difference." ............ Jay Leno

Posts(1120) | Reviews | Tip post

• kkmlk Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:22 AM Reply
    I'm pretty sure it's from DX. It requests to submit this info to https://cs.dx.com/Ticket/AuthCredit/...

And when opening that page the same instructions and the form to upload the photos are repeated.

I didn't know this can happen until I received the email. Here's the most of it:

Dear Customer,

Thanks for ordering from Dealextreme.com. Your payment is currently being processed. In some special cases, we may contact you during this process to request additional information regarding the payment.
    To avoid cancellation of your order(s), please cooperate by providing the following details:(click here to see sample):

1.A screenshot of your paypal account page showing your PayPal address and the transaction details of the payment at DX.com.

2.If you paid by credit card through paypal, please provide a photocopy/screenshot of your credit card bill (Any previous purchase is acceptable) and a photocopy of your credit card. Both the bill and the credit card should clearly show the the first 6 digits and last 4 digits of your card number. To protect your personal information, please hide the CVV2 code. (Please refer to our sample picture).

3.A photocopy of one of the payer's ID card/ Passport/Driving license.

Once the above materials are provided and confirmed, the order(s) can be fulfilled. Your understanding and cooperation is highly appreciated.

• kkmlk Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:23 AM Reply
    Here's the sample they provide: https://cs.dx.com/Ticket/Sample

• Simonetti2010 Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:48 AM Reply
    Well, unlike many Android phones sold here, this seems legit, but it sucks anyhow. If you're paying with PayPal, there should be no need for them to "see" your credit card or passport. That's the whole point of using PayPal, isn't it?

@Happyvicky
    Is this a "normal" behaviour for DX, since the guy is paying with PayPal ?

• Voriki Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:34 AM Reply
    subscribed

I think this is very weird behaviour too if the payment was really made through PP
    unhappy and grumpy about DX
    Why I'm (temporary) back on the forums:
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1447763
    Posts(6762) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:14 AM Reply
    Could this be one of those address problems? Is the address in your DX account, and in your PP account the same? I remember several times when different addresses caused a problem.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

• LAL Moderator Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:51 AM Reply
    I saw this months ago and -if I remember correctly- DX said this requirement was at the request of Paypal. However, let's wait for @Happyvicky 's explanation.
    Forum Mod - *not* DX™ Staff
    ******* Forum Rules: http://dxurl.com/RX4j *******
    How to contact DX --> https://cs.dx.com

O homem comum fala, o sábio escuta, o tolo discute, o babaca insulta
    Posts(36488) | Reviews | Tip post

• Voriki Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, November 7, 2013 7:55 AM Reply
    That's DX's explanation, but why doesn't PP ask the customer themselves and open a support ticket themselves on PP.com? Wouldn't be the first time we got a false explanation for things.
    The whole reason people use PP is so that the venders don't have access to personal information. The customert pays PP, PP pays the vendor, so financially there shouldn't be any link like this between vendor and customer.
    unhappy and grumpy about DX
    Why I'm (temporary) back on the forums:
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1447763
    Posts(6762) | Reviews | Tip post

• Simonetti2010 Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:05 AM Reply
    Exactly, Voriki, and that's the biggest motivation to use PP.

If anyone should ask for my credentials that would be PP, because they are the ones who handle charges to my credit card. I wouldn't be buying from DX if it were like it has been for kkmlk.

Page 1 of 8
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere