Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Is this really 110-240V?

• catalin_cluj Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:59 AM Reply
    One of the "features" is a transformer that's unlikely to allow such voltage range.
    Also pictures are conflicting both about voltage (pics show 220V) and connectors.
    Which are correct?
    Thanks,
    Cat
    Posts(5) | Reviews | Tip post

• bz1mcr Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:34 AM Reply
    I have the same question, can this be powered by 110V AC? The power input is labled 220V AC in the picture???
    Posts(1) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:03 AM Reply
    Almost all power adapters these days are switched-mode, which accept universal voltage. So why would it be so hard for this to do so (apart from only 220V appearing in the photos)?

Have a look at the first pic on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply. Component C is a transformer. Lower on the same page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply#Transformer_design
    Any switched-mode power supply that gets its power from an AC power line ... requires a transformer for galvanic isolation.

@Janmee can it be powered by 110-120 V?
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24949) | Reviews | Tip post

• catalin_cluj Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:30 PM Reply
    The "featured transformer" is not the kind used in switched mode power supplies.
    I know.
    Let's not waste time.
    I need an answer from somebody that knows for sure, not speculation.
    Posts(5) | Reviews | Tip post

• Janmee Thursday, August 7, 2014 1:57 PM Reply
    @sheepish, I will forward this to my colleague to follow up with.
    Posts(4706) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:34 PM Reply
    Thank you Janmee.

The "featured transformer" is not the kind used in switched mode power supplies.
    I know.
    Let's not waste time.

Let's learn. @ebpDoug or @desolder what is it about the pictured transformer that precludes its use for a universal voltage power supply?

http://m5.img.dxcdn.com/CDDriver/img/sku_234991_01.jpg
    img src: http://m5.img.dxcdn.com/CDDriver/img/sku_234991_01.jpg

Remembering 30 years.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, August 8, 2014 1:57 AM Reply
    I've never heard of Amoy Magnetics so I looked them up. Their sealed transformers appear to be traditional line frequency transformers, designed for a single AC input voltage:

http://www.amoymagnetics.com/productlist-52-59-en.html

That's a bit surprising since the industry has almost completely moved to switching power supplies. But I guess certain niche markets may find traditional power supplies advantageous.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• ebpDoug Friday, August 8, 2014 4:32 AM Reply
    I thought the transformer looked a lot like a Zettler product. Imagine my surprise when I followed desolder's link.

I've designed transformers like that into some commercial products. Pin-compatible versions are available from Spitznagel (Germany) and Pulse Engineering (US; possibly discontinued).
    They are nice for low-power applications (the type I've used is rated at 1.6VA). The winding impedance is high enough that they can be run short-circuited without damage. They have approvals from "all" the major safety agencies. Advantages over switchers include much lower parts count and no problems with EMI/RFI so much easier and cheaper compliance testing. For an application such as a temperature controller, where the load operating voltage is almost certainly fixed for a given application, universal input isn't of much use. If you are controlling a large heater or refrigeration compressor, a watt or two of loss in a linear supply is pretty much irrelevant. Though it wouldn't matter for this device, switchers can be a colossal pain for sensitive analog circuitry.

Dual primary versions that can be configured for 110/220V are available. The model number isn't visible in the photo, so I can't tell.

Posts(1003) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, August 8, 2014 7:25 AM Reply
    That's all very interesting. Thanks you to both of you. Now to see what Janmee finds out.
    Remembering 30 years.

• jeroselino Tuesday, December 23, 2014 1:51 AM Reply
    Just received mine. It works on 110v, just as with 220v. Perfect!
    Posts(1) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere