Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Result of using an AA + AG10 in flashlight

• iconlarry Tuesday, January 13, 2015 12:07 AM Reply
    If a flashlight calls for a 14500 battery (3.6v) and I have one AA (1.5v) plus a AG10 (1.5v) and put them in series, will this work the flashlight? And what will the result be for brightness compared to a 14500 battery, and lifespan compared to a 14500?

Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 13, 2015 1:51 AM Reply
    It won't hurt anything, but it might not work because of the lower voltage. Depending on the flashlight, it might be slightly dimmer, or it might be a lot dimmer.

I'm not an expert, but the runtime might be extremely short if the AG10 gets flat right away.

Maybe @desolder would know more about that.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12567) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 13, 2015 3:58 AM Reply
    AG10 is a tiny cell which is not capable of high current. It will just get in the way. The LED might light up dimly at only 3.0V and a few milliamps. It would be humorous to attempt it, just for giggles.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• iconlarry Tuesday, January 13, 2015 4:49 AM Reply
    It works - it gives off a bright light but with the proper battery, it could probably be brighter. I don't know how long it will last though.

BTW, it will not shine with just a plain AA battery.
    Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:18 AM Reply
    HA! Funny. The capacity of an AG10 cell is about 50mAh. You don't have to worry about reverse charging the button cell and having it blow up since the current will drop to zero before the AG10 cell gets to zero volts.
    What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 13, 2015 8:58 AM Reply
    DX doesn't have any high quality 14500 cells, but sku.26124 are probably decent for the price.

Without knowing which light you have, or how much current it uses, there's no way to know how long the cells will last.
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12567) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:44 AM Reply
    I'd not be surprised if the AG10 leaked after a while. Don't leave it in there.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24946) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere