Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Confused noob - 18650 flashlight for bike

• JMAGG Sunday, January 18, 2015 8:54 PM Reply
    Hi all. I have spent a couple of days reading on this forum and looking at lights. I now have a headache and no idea what to buy lol. I would really appreciate some help.

I am just about to start cycling to work and have already got a Smart Lunar 35 bike light. This is ok, but the beam is quite narrow so I am looking for a light with more flood. I would prefer a light with zoom for versatility and would like to use 18650 batteries as I already have some. I would like something cheap to get me started. It's a short commute on road and tow paths so I'm not too worried about run time. I would rather keep the Lunar 35 as a backup although I could use both together.

High priority
    Zoom
    Fairly wide flood

Medium priority
    Water resistant
    Will fit a universal mount
    Compact (wide angle more important than size, but I would like to stick to single led)
    Posts(3) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, January 18, 2015 9:58 PM Reply
    Are you looking for a dedicated "bike" light with a battery pack, or a regular flashlight with a bike mount?
    NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12566) | Reviews | Tip post

• JMAGG Sunday, January 18, 2015 10:35 PM Reply
    A regular flashlight with a bike mount.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, January 18, 2015 11:02 PM Reply
    There are loads of lights that should fit your needs, but I don't care much for zoom lights, and have no experience with bike mounts.

@cyclist @desolder or @sheepish would all be better qualified to offer suggestions than me. It's the weekend, so give them a little time to answer. :)

One thing I can say, is that zoom lights are harder to make water resistant than non-zoom lights.
    Ask them.

• JMAGG Monday, January 19, 2015 6:59 AM Reply
    Thanks gas, I appreciate I won't find a fully waterproof zoom flashlight. Any resistance to light showers would be a bonus even if it requires some modding.

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, January 19, 2015 7:22 AM Reply
    You might want to take a look at sku.356462. It has small reflector and a fairly wide center beam. It's not a zoom , but several people on another site say they're excellent for biking and any general all around use.

Convoy makes very nice lights for the price, and you can choose between 3 modes (lo. mid > hi) or 5 modes. (SOS and strobe along with the brightness modes) Convoy lights also have a low battery warning feature. Especially nice if you have unprotected cells.

There are several other Convoy lights here too.

Ask them.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, January 19, 2015 4:20 PM Reply
    Zoom is versatile, but the beam also has a sharp cut off at the edge. I'm OK with that in a hand torch where it can be very nice to have a better look at a shadowy object.

I don't generally like zoom in mounted lights because I can't easily wave them around. I have one exception which is not my main light and I mostly use it zoomed in (narrow beam). I have water resistanted it by adding a few o-rings and silicone grease, so it's pretty good if I don't zoom it underwater.
    Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24946) | Reviews | Tip post

• cyclist Moderator Sunday, January 25, 2015 8:35 AM Reply
    @JMAGG

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this earlier!
    SKU: 288296
    That would be my recommendation.
    I got one last year and it is now my go to light.
    Its got a good wide beam and the important flash/strobe for daytime use in busy areas if you need it.
    I like a zoom light because I use a lot of country roads, and having the ability to focus the beam on the road without blinding oncoming traffic is perfect.
    This is the only mount I use now, its the best out there ~ SKU: 8274

Oh, and I have not waterproofed this in any way, other than just make sure everything was tight when I got it, and it like most flashlights, is fine in downpours.
    Flashlight issues~https://tinyurl.com/bw2d3pd
    DX Return Policy/Warranty~https://tinyurl.com/yb7dpg3s
    New customers read this ~ http://tinyurl.com/3kcyfqm
    Tracking site ~ http://www.17track.net/en
    Posts(17129) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Flashlights)
Flashlights

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere