Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in General Topics)
General Topics

18650 Batteries

• tonk4u Tuesday, January 5, 2016 3:23 PM Reply

Could someone explain to me about using 18650 batteries with different mAh in a (1) 18650 flashlight, 2400mAH (3.7v), 2500mAh (3.7v), 2600mAH (3.7v), 3000mAh (3.7v), 3400mAh (3.7v), 4000mAh (3.7v). Does more mAH batteries create a brighter light, or has a longer run time, I cannot find out the answer to this question, any help someone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance  

Posts(1) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:40 PM Reply

The forum is very quiet and none of the experts seem to be around at the moment so I'll give a couple a call and they'll be along later- @sheepish @desolder. In the meantime I can pass on a few tips I have learned from them.

Could someone explain to me about using 18650 batteries with different mAh?

That one's easy... DON'T. When using multiple cells, they must be of the same type whether Lithium, NiMH, Alkaline or whatever, match only with their own type. With Lithium particularly, use only cells of the same capacity (mAh) and as close as possible to the same charge.

Does more mAH batteries create a brighter light, or...

The (mAh) capacity makes no difference to the brightness, only to how long it will run. While on that subject, do not believe the capacity shown on ANY Chinese cells. They compete to see who can get away with the biggest lie! Some are actually reasonable value but none hold a charge anywhere near that of quality Japanese or Korean brands.

[edit] Sorry, I mis-read your first question. You were talking about a single cell flashlight. Anyway I just thought of the most important advice: Never buy cells with stripes (3 rings) on them.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by ozOzo on 1/5/2016 at 5:04 PM
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:58 AM Reply

Stay away from any *Fire brands if you want a quality cell. Here's a list of Japanese/Korean brands I trust:

Sanyo/Panasonic (they recently merged)

Sony (make sure it's NOT counterfeit)

Samsung

LG

The highest capacity cells are the Panasonic 3400mAh cells (e.g. sku.185509). If you don't want to spend as much, then at the very least get the Sanyo 2600 (sku.121447).

What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:06 PM Reply

This is a Flashlight topic, not a General Topic.

There's no such thing as a 4000 mAh 18650 cell. More capacity (mAh) basically means a longer runtime. The voltage of cell in a single 18650 torch may affect the brightness. Some brands of cells such an Sanyo hold a better voltage under load. For example, see http://club.dx.com/forums/Forums.dx/threadid.1377399.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24957) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in General Topics)
General Topics

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere