Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Cell Phones)
Cell Phones

Want small rugged cellphone with long battery life

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, March 25, 2017 9:35 AM Reply

It's March again already. I'm not about to buy another phone but sadly the phone I got a year ago is not at all rugged and no longer waterproof. Hence I'm wondering what cellphone I could get next.

Do you have any comments about the Blackview brand, ozOzo? Specifically, their BV6000 rugged model.

Edit: Starting a new page for the new year. I see DX lists some but they're sold out. Just found a hilarious thread: http://club.dx.com/forums/Forums.dx/threadid.1458184.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24951) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by sheepish on 3/25/2017 at 9:43 AM
  • ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, March 25, 2017 2:50 PM Reply

Wow, another year and I'm still no wiser concerning Chinese phones. I've had no personal experience with them at all, but I am waiting for one to arrive. The vital criteria I'm looking for are altogether different to yours but by the sound of things we'd both be perfectly happy with a 2G with very few basic features if that was still an option.

In your case, that Blackview seems to tick all your boxes and then some! That's the rub... all that other stuff you don't really need and don't want, that you feel you are paying extra for. Mind you, some of that stuff does look nice and the price isn't too outrageous just for the things you do need.

It has a larger battery capacity than most but I'm a little surprised that it only claims 12 hrs talk time. Maybe it's just a little less exaggerated than the others. The first site I checked said 3GB RAM but the (sold out) one shown on DX says 2GB. That's still a lot! If you plan on using the net a few hours a day it may pay to keep a power pack handy after a few days. One of the annoying things about most phones now is that they have non-replaceable batteries which apparently means once it dies, replace the phone.

4.7” seems about as small as screens get now, they're getting bigger! It's like when ghetto blasters took over years after pocket trannies came out.

The phone I'm waiting for is for my wife. Within one year, she's gone from ok to very deaf and now her main mode of communication is text. Her old Samsung flip phone has the old button click (1, 2, or three times per letter) so it's time for a touch screen with a keyboard. The other thing important to her is a good camera and that's why I chose SKU: 852458964. The back camera on that phone is the bee's knees by all reports.

Buying at the introductory sale price looks a pretty good deal but it's way more phone than she will ever need. She never uses the net or anything else, so as long as it has those two things and a vibration call alarm, she's happy.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by ozOzo on 3/25/2017 at 2:53 PM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, March 25, 2017 5:48 PM Reply

by the sound of things we'd both be perfectly happy with a 2G with very few basic features if that was still an option.

That's what I thought, but as it's turned out, since getting my first smartphone at the end of March last year I have to say I'm now a great fan of all the apps that allow a well-equipped phone to do just about anything. Phone calls and text messages? Puh. Incidental features only!

It's now possible to buy a smartphone for about US$20 (on sale) that is a mini computer with GPS! I find that completely amazing.

{Darn. I can't delete this line. Stupid New Forum Interface!}

The Blackview BV6000 does tick all my boxes... except that since posting above I've found that it's 25 mm longer than what I have even though it has the same screen size. And it's about twice as heavy. I'm sure gasbag11 would say that means it should have good throw.

The first site I checked said 3GB RAM but the (sold out) one shown on DX says 2GB.

Are you looking at a BV6000S? sku.852439359 says 3GB RAM.

4.7” seems about as small as screens get now, they're getting bigger!
    It's like when ghetto blasters took over years after pocket trannies
    came out.

That must be it. I'm still wondering how people carry huge phones (as I asked on 15 March last year).

my wife. ... now her main mode of communication is text.

How does she go with Swype texting?

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, March 25, 2017 6:19 PM Reply

Does the product page of sku.852411506 look screwed up?

Remembering 30 years.

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, March 26, 2017 9:13 AM Reply

… I'm now a great fan of all the apps that allow a well-equipped phone to do just about anything...
    I'm that way about computers but my phone already has too many buttons on a small screen for my eyes and I only want it for a very few basic things. I only have it with me if there's likely to be a need for it and I feel no obligation to remain available to receive calls.

I'm sure gasbag11 would say that means it should have good throw.
    And by the look of it, it wouldn't suffer too much damage when you threw it!

Are you looking at a BV6000S?
    You're right, I see that now.

How does she go with Swype texting?
    Heheh, she's never heard of it. It isn't available on her old phone but I'm sure she'll get used to it. I don't know if there is a 'Voice to Text' app available yet, that can directly translate phone calls but that's the next thing we'll need to try.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    Worldwide 3G bands list:

post edited by ozOzo on 3/26/2017 at 9:16 AM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, March 26, 2017 4:26 PM Reply

Hm, the underwater pic for sku.460947 looks a bit... photoshopped. Could it possibly be that DX and Homtom aren't paying royalties? Poor kids!

http://www.familyfuncanada.com/calgary/files/2015/06/Kids_in_Pool.jpg

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 1, 2017 5:49 PM Reply

The Ulefone Armor also looks promising. It's strange how these companies can (apparently) make a rugged waterproof cellphone but the big names cannot.

Remembering 30 years.

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 1, 2017 7:01 PM Reply

I don't know anything about Ulefone but the Armor looks pretty rugged and the specs sound impressive. The problem seems to be with all these tougher phones that there has to be some trade-off with size and weight. This one goes 148.9*75.8*12.5mm -Weight:195g which is more than you wanted I guess.

I couldn't find it here on DX at all... as you note in another thread, all Ulefones seem to have gone missing. I see it elsewhere at AU$216 which sounds reasonable for what you get. One thing I would want to know but can't find, is whether the battery is replaceable. I would want it to be for a phone of this price.

One thing I don't like is the screen being flush with the edges. Put it down the wrong way or drop it, the screen has no protection, so it still needs a case which adds more bulk. You'd need a Band 1 (2100 GHz) sim for it too but I think most Oz networks can supply that. Check it though.

One review I saw gives it pretty good raps... fast, not much bloatware, good camera but mentioned this con:
    Most of the apps are useless unless you give them permissions that are unnecessary. Which is unacceptable, the app should still open but not be able to do whatever it needed access to do. Example, the Calendar wants access to photos, media and files, WTH, just show me the dates, the Camera needs to make phone calls?!? it's supposed to just take pictures, you share your pics via the Gallery.
    I don't know how to flash ROMs or any of that stuff but I would think there is surely some way around that problem.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    Worldwide 3G bands list:

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Saturday, April 1, 2017 7:19 PM Reply

That's smaller and lighter than the Blackview BV6000, which DX says is 15.2 cm x 8.1 cm x 1.6 cm, 247 g. And it has a compass, but no fingerprint scanner.

as you note in another thread, all Ulefones seem to have gone missing.

OK, I give up. Where did I say that? And which brand/s did you recently say you didn't like? Doogee?

I don't like apps that want weird permissions for no apparent reason. Like a camera wanting to be able to make phone calls and send text messages. Why!? Often it seems that the actual permission it wants isn't anything like that, like it might only want to know if you're on a call (maybe so it doesn't drop it accidentally?), but that's not what it asks for.

Remembering 30 years.

• Ignatus Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:35 PM Reply

Hi Sheepish,

Are you still looking for a new phone? 

I'm a mobile phone fanatic and Android power-user.

Currently, I'm using a really large one with a 6.4 inch display and 4000mAh battery.

- Xiaomi Mi Max. Rooted, custom build rom (operating system), Firewall and various Xposed based software extensions.

If you have any Android mobile phone related questions- Just shoot!

In terms of China brands that offer reliable quality at reasonable prices, I recommend these based on personal experience:

1.) Xiaomi

2.) UMI

Get a good case/back cover for protection.

I'm 6.1 tall and recently
    my Xiaomi Mi Max  fell onto concrete floor when putting it back
    into my pocket. Impact was directly on the frame. and it then landed
    on the screen.- Zero issues. I'm happy to have spent $8 on a good back
    cover.

For the screen I'm using as a first
    protection layer a film/foil based screenprotector and on top of that, a
    screenprotector that is made of tempered glass.

For
    waterproofing, if you are willing to open up your phone, I'd recommend
    liquid glass/nano glass available under various brand names. - Just make
    sure you get one that uses alcohol as a base and not water when
    spraying the pcb.

If this is all too much hassle and you want a rugged device straight out of the box ---and price doesn't matter:

CAT S60

At around $200 I can also highly recommend:

Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Although this proverb doesn't apply to everything in life, IMHO it is definitely true when choosing a phone:

"Buy cheap, buy twice."

P.S: Not sure why the formatting screwed up. When I've tried to fix it, it all looks fine. After submitting it's bad again. - Silly forum issues...

Posts(190) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Ignatus on 4/23/2017 at 11:42 PM
Page 2 of 5
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Cell Phones)
Cell Phones

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere