Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Cell Phones)
Cell Phones

Want small rugged cellphone with long battery life

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, November 30, 2017 8:05 PM Reply

I've just taken another look at the CAT S60, the one with the FLIR camera. It's very nice, and has everything on my wish list. It's a bit pricey though.

Edit - it's 20mm longer than my present phone (not counting my present phone's case), but some of that is the FLIR camera bump, and it's almost 100 grams heavier. It apparently does have an altimeter/barometer, but the CAT Phones web site doesn't mention it.

I figure a new model should be announced in the first quarter of next year, and available in the middle of the year. It's right at the top of my consideration list.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24951) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by sheepish on 12/1/2017 at 6:23 AM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, March 12, 2018 10:31 AM Reply

As I expected the CAT S61 was announced last month (just squeaking in at the end of the month) but I only caught up with the announcement last Monday. It looks very very nice, so I'm bracing myself for the price when it becomes available here.

As before, it has the same thermal IR sensor as the CAT S60 (a mere 160x120 pixels which is now scaled up to FHD), altimeter/barometer, magnetometer/compass. New features are a bigger screen (FHD), a few more satelite navigation options, a humidity sensor, an air quality sensor (volatile organic compounds) and a laser distance meter (good for 10 metres). Waterproofing is now 3 metres for 1 hour, with 1.8 metre-onto-concrete drop resistance. No fingerprint reader - apparently it would break easily and won't work with gloves which quite a large portion of users wear while using the CAT S60.

Edit - typo.

Remembering 30 years.

post edited by sheepish on 3/12/2018 at 6:09 PM
  • ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, March 12, 2018 11:46 AM Reply

I didn’t know anything about the phone sheepish but I just browsed their site. It certainly has some great features! It sounds expensive but not really when you compare it with other upper range phones. There would be a niche market for it. I see it as the ideal ”tradies’ phone”, with toughness being its greatest feature.

It is a lot more phone than I need, or know how to use for that matter, but I can see why you’d have it on your wish list.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, March 12, 2018 7:56 PM Reply

As seems to be your habit, Oz, you've hit the bullseye with several issues.

It's very expensive, but unlike the top end phones from other makers which are comparable for price, this one comes with features I'd rather have and can see being incredibly useful. What do top end phones have? Really good cameras and face scanning? I already have an excellent quality small camera with several lenses. Do I really want my phone to try to compete with it? I'd rather my phone could take the role of a small rugged camera, thus saving me from buying an Olympus TG-5 or similar, and saving me from carrying it as well as my phone (which I'll want anyway).

The ruggedness is very high on my priorities. My present Sony phone is supposed to have an IP68 rating but the screen has light showing around the edges and the whole back panel comes off. I want my phone to actually be waterproof, not just have the phone company pretend it is. I want to take photos in places which are too wet and muddy to take ordinary phones and cameras, but I don't always want the bulk of my camera with waterproof case. I also visit windy surf beaches; I note the S61 is rated to cope with salt water, salt spray and sand.

My present smartphone is my first, and was a LOT more than I knew how to use but I picked it up eventually, and now there are a whole bunch of apps I really like. It also has sensors which are very useful in quite a number of work and play settings. However, it's let down badly by all the things on it that have broken. I don't think I'm particularly rough with my phone but I've had to conclude I cannot trust Sony to make a phone that'll do the job.

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:24 AM Reply

Drawcard features of a Samsung Galaxy S9...

* Very good quality sound, camera and video. Yet weirdly "There is still no dedicated video recording mode and thus a video viewfinder."

* AR emoji. I'm not an 11 year old girl.

* A personal assistant called Bixby. It can tell me the camera is looking at a pizza. Could be useful for telling me the names of all the people I keep meeting but forgetting who they are. I'm sure they won't be weirded out by me holding my cellphone up at random intervals.

* Really high benchmark scores. How this translates into anything useful in the real world I'm not sure. Bitcoin mining?

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 28, 2018 11:42 AM Reply

Last night I found someone with a Blackview BV6000. He says he's had it for 2 years and it's served him well in that time. It has a very solid, chunky feel and it certainly felt tough. It still looked OK after (he said) being dropped several times. He pointed out the PTT button on the side that can be used to talk directly to others nearby with similarly featured phones but I didn't ask if he has used it.

Letting it down was the "IP-68" on the front, which means a fake IP rating because of the hyphen. (Or is it a -6 dust rating, sucking in any nearby dust?) Why do Chinese companies lie about that? I note DX's product photos have "IP68".

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 28, 2018 11:55 AM Reply

Another brand of rugged smartphone, Ulefone: sku.852478130

This item is on PRESALE, which will come out on September 10th, 2017.

Does that mean DX hasn't updated the details since then, or that it never came out?

Title: Waterproof IP68

Other Features: Waterproof Level    IPX8   

[Where did this blank line go to?]

Why does DX and DX's suppliers have trouble getting simple details right?

Anyway, it's good that phone manufacturers are starting to get the idea there's a market for this sort of thing.

Remembering 30 years.

post edited by sheepish on 5/29/2018 at 11:28 AM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 28, 2018 3:31 PM Reply

BV8000, sku.852513274

Photo: IP68 "Tri-proof"

Specs: Other Features ... Waterproof Level    IPX0 (Not Protected)    

Oh, DX. You really don't want to sell stuff, do you?

Remembering 30 years.

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 28, 2018 3:53 PM Reply

The official release
    for the Ulefone Armor 2 was mid August so I can’t see why it should still be on pre-sale!

It has good specs
    for that type of phone and sure looks tough! It’s a bulky beast but
    you can’t have waterproofing, shock-resistance and a huge battery
    in a compact phone. And at 270g I’d need a knapsack or at least a
    shoulder strap to carry it.

It looks practically
    identical to the Doogee S60, which boasts an even bigger (capacity)
    battery. That’s a brand I’ve never trusted though because of
    their sales tactics when they first came on the scene. Everything
    else seems so similar that I’d be surprised if they weren’t both
    made in the same shop.

Heheh, IP ratings
    seem to be a thing they can’t quite get their heads around.

I don’t know if
    it’s important to you or even whether you’re considering buying
    one but there seem to be varying reports re card slots. Several say
    that one SIM slot can be used for an extra memory card and at least
    one I read says it has a dedicated SD slot. I’m never quite sure
    though whether some of these reviewers share the same interpretation
    of the word ‘dedicated’ with me. With 64GB internal memory it’s
    not a thing that would worry most people anyway.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:47 PM Reply
    A video review of Ulefone Armor 2 vs Blackview BV8000 Pro shows for night video the shutter speed of the Ulefone just isn't good enough for what I'd want.

But I'm still waiting for the Cat S61 to be released. I bet Doogee will come out with an S61 as well.

Remembering 30 years.

Page 4 of 5
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Cell Phones)
Cell Phones

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere