Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Feedback)
Feedback

REALLY DX?

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:53 AM Reply

I bought sku.436026 a while back and reviewed it. A few days ago I noticed that it had a new review. Wanting to see what the other reviewer said about it, I checked it, then decided to see if there were any reviews of the Nichia LED version. There's another version of the one I bought that looks identical, but my version has Cree XP-G2 LEDs and the other one has Nichia 219B LEDs. Very different LEDs with different tints, different efficiencies, and different brightness levels, probably different beam patterns, and possibly other differences.

There were also 2 reviews of that one. One was mine and the other was the same customer that reviewed the one that I did. Actually, I don't know which one he really reviewed.

I did NOT review sku.435562, and doubt the other customer bought and reviewed both lights.

I also noticed that my review of sku.396066 had also been used for the black and grey versions of that light, along with 2 other reviewers who I doubt very much also bought all 3 versions.

The same thing for sku.367068, a keychain light that comes in 5 colors. I reviewed only the black one but my review is now shown on each of the other 4 colors, along with 30 other customers who I highly doubt bought and reviewed all 5 colors.

I can (almost) understand sharing reviews for lights that are identical aside from the color, like the Ultrafire and Nitecore Tube lights, but it still isn't right that DX does it without even asking.

Also, sku.436026 and sku.435562 are not identical and customers might be angry when they get a light that has a warm tint if they wanted a light with a cool tint which is brighter than the other one.

I think it would only be fair for everyone who reviewed one of those lights, to receive the review points for each of  the colors that DX attributed to those reviewers, although personally, I don't want points I didn't earn. 

I also think my review of sku.435562 should be removed, unless DX wants to send me a free one for reviewal. My review of it would still have to be removed since we can't edit reviews.

NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12566) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by gasbag11 on 11/3/2016 at 8:33 AM
  • Maye_Tao Thursday, November 3, 2016 3:42 PM Reply

@gasbag11

SPU Review Sharing

SPU(Standard Product Unit):It is the smallest unit of commodity information aggregation, is a set of standardized information aggregation which is reusable and easy to retrieve, the aggregation describes the characteristics of a product. Gerernally speaking, commodities with the same property values and characteristics can be called an SPU.

It will help other customers to learn a class of products(with different colors, sizes, etc.). If you click the review link, it will redirect you to the review page of the product which you reviewed.

2345截图20161103151734.jpg

Be happy. ( *^_^* )
    Posts(5502) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:15 PM Reply

This is disgusting. DX are using customers' reviews multiple times without any acknowledgment on the product pages or in the reviews that the customer didn't buy all the products that the reviews appear on.

I also think my review of sku.435562
    should be removed, unless DX wants to send me a free one for reviewal.
    My review of it would still have to be removed since we can't edit
    reviews.

I fully agree. These particular products have different LEDs and are thus different products. They look the same from the outside but important details of their specification are different. The same review does not apply to both products.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24945) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:02 PM Reply

@Maye_Tao

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The 2 Manker E14 lights (sku.436026 and sku.435562) look the same on the outside but are different on the inside. A review of one will NOT be valid for the other one. 

The 3 Ultrafire lights and the 5 Nitecore Tubes are identical in specs and operation and the ONLY difference between them is the outer color. A review of one of them WILL be valid for the others.

If DX doesn't remove my review for sku.435562, than they are deliberately giving their customers false information in order to create sales. Or to put it bluntly, lying.

I will point that out to customers if/when asked, and I will not review any more products from this site. 

It's a shame to say it, but what was once an excellent site has been downgraded to just another site that will do almost anything, including lying, to sell their products.

Ask them.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, November 4, 2016 1:15 AM Reply

subscribing

What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• AndiBcool Friday, November 4, 2016 1:32 AM Reply

Hey nice to see thouse old names again. Hope you do all ok !

Posts(856) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, November 4, 2016 10:15 AM Reply

This “SPU” policy must be relatively new otherwise we'd have heard about it before now. In any case, if there is such a thing, it is certainly being used incorrectly and illegally. How can DX use someone's name to promote a product without their knowledge, let alone consent?

There are two different issues here, firstly, items with identical specs, function and quality, with only cosmetic differences such as colour. In this category: sku.396066, SKU: 396080, SKU: 395826.

Gasbag11 and others have reviewed  sku.396066 but not the other two therefore it is the only one that should have their names mentioned. The correct (and honest) way to deal with the others would be to link a note such as: “See reviews for similar item sku.396066” in their reviews section.

The second issue involves two completely different items. sku.435562  is an inferior clone of the original sku.436026 . The main component, the emitter, is a cheap copy of the genuine Cree and despite DX's claim, its performance is unlikely to be even close to the original. Definitely the review for one could not apply to the other, so if you want an honest appraisal of sku.435562  from gasbag11, I would suggest that he has every right to ask for one to test and review. In the meantime, the review he did for a different product should be removed from that page.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, November 4, 2016 3:02 PM Reply

You make some excellent points, ozOzo, but you should really say that Cree is a cheap copy of Nichia. It was Shuji Nakamura at Nichia who invented the high brightness blue LED in 1993 (on which the white LED is based), and he won the 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics for it.

Nichia is still one of the best regarded LED makers in the world, and their warm white 219B LEDs can have a typical CRI of 92 (very good for an LED), making them much loved by flashlight fanatics. Nichia, Cree, and (Phillips) Lumileds are the three companies I trust the most to make good quality LED products.

So I'm not questioning the quality, but they are very different LEDs; the products are not just cosmetically different.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24945) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, November 4, 2016 9:25 PM Reply

In fact sheepish, I have already been made aware of my mistake regarding Nichia. I stand corrected and apologise.

The fact remains however, as you point out, the specification of the two products makes them too different for a review of one to apply to the other.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, November 4, 2016 9:28 PM Reply

Sorry if I gave the impression that the Nichia LEDS are not good quality ozOzo. As sheepish said, they're very good but very different and that will affect performance parameters quite a bit including the heat generated which I forgot to mention above. 

The correct (and honest) way to deal with the others would be to link a note such as: “See reviews for similar item sku.396066 ” in their reviews section.

@Maye_Tao 

ozOzo has made an excellent suggestion above which would be to everyone's benefit.  No one could complain about their reviews being used for  products they didn't buy, DX wouldn't look like just another site that lies about their products to increase sales, and product's would get the benefit of the reviews. As they say: "It's a win win situation".

Of course DX would need to be sure the item's components and performance are exactly the same, and the only difference could be cosmetic such as color as in the case of sku.396066, sku.396080, and sku,395826, or the Nitecore Tube keychain lights.

Ask them.

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Feedback)
Feedback

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere