Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Cell Phones)
Cell Phones

Beware of custom firmware on ASUS phones!

• KLeas Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:19 PM Reply

I orderd an Asus ZE551ML

When I got it I tried to check for updates but the phone did not even have the OTA function enabled.

Every time I opend a new app there was a popup ad, and the phone acted like there was a virus installed. I checked for rooting and as expected the phone was rooted.

So I tried to do a forced firmware install with the firmware on Asus homepage.

This led to get my phone hardbricked!

I then searched the web for answers and three days later I got my phone working with the firmware from Asus.

I did also contact Asus and they told me that since the phone was rooted there was no warranty.

And after all this problem I contacted DX for an explanation and compensation.

After several messages to DX I got this answer "If so, you don't have to go through the hassle to return the item and we will give you store credit for compesation."

I answerd that I accept store credit and that I did not want to return the phone. Got this answer: 

"Since the issue was caused by updating the OTA without following the instruction , DX is not respsonsible for that "

What instruction? There was NO OTA.

DX, this is BAD for your reputation. this is the first time I have had trouble with your customer service. I have many times recomended DX to my friends and family. Now I won´t!

Posts(50) | Reviews | Tip post

• matrix-neo Moderator Wednesday, January 4, 2017 6:39 PM Reply

try to understand DX's position, some customers buy a phone and try to update the wrong firmware or do the wrong update procedure then complain to DX that the phone is 'broken'! was it broken out of the box? modern phones are technically complicated and very few people know how to fix a broken Android image, DX gives you(a typical consumer) a warranty as long as you don't break the software, besides if your phone was rooted you should have been able to remove the popup/virus what ever you had

Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11865) | Reviews | Tip post

• KLeas Wednesday, January 4, 2017 7:03 PM Reply

The update procdure did not work.

The OTA was not even avalible, USB did not work, downloading the firmware to the phone and restarting it did not work. Updates did not work in any way. The only way to update the firmware was to go in and force an update. But that gave me a hardbricked phone due to the fact that it was a custom firmware installed.

The firmware installed did not correspond to any of the firmwares on Asus homepage.

Even if I could remove the app that gave me popups I had to go through all the apps and system apps and confirm them all. There a more then 100 system apps to check and even if there was an app that should be there the popupvirus could have been intergrated in that app.

The box I recived had been opend, and there was a tiny scratch on the backside of the phone, but nothing that could be photographed by any camera that I own.

Still, I have been a customer on DX for more than 10 years and I have had little problem with the customer service untill now. First I got an asnwer from them that I would get some compensation or that I could choose to return the phone and get all money back. I wanted storecredit, but then all of a sudden I was denied all.

Anyhow, I am not the only one with this problem. There are more reviews on this phone that show the same problem.

I allso had a iNew V3 Plus (ordered here from DX) that had the same problem. OTA was dissabled. If you look around here on the forum, you see that there are the same problem with other phones as well.

Posts(50) | Reviews | Tip post

• matrix-neo Moderator Wednesday, January 4, 2017 10:35 PM Reply

yes it's true, some of the phone's have firmware revisions where OTA is not included, that's because in some cases the same phone model has slightly different firmware depending on where it's sold, if it's important first ask which firmware revision a phone comes with

Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11865) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:38 AM Reply

I have been a customer on DX for more than 10 years

Bit hard to believe, since DealExtreme started barely 10 years ago.

And yes, DX needs to stand behind the phones they sell.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Cell Phones)
Cell Phones

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere