DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Electronics)
Electronics

Any recommendations on a large solar power bank?

• Nick10974183 Friday, March 17, 2017 1:05 AM Reply

Greetings,

I can see on the many reviews from so and so satisfied customers, that many have problems with solar charging (as its not working at all) and that the battery capaity is far far from the stated capacity.
    I need a larger solar power bank to run a remote Raspberry Pi, that would actually charge on solar.
    So any recommendations of an honest product?

Thanks

Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ignatus Sunday, April 23, 2017 3:52 AM Reply

Never seen or heard of any good quality Solar powerbanks serving this particular consumer segment.

The only solution is to DIY one. I'm currently building one with variable voltage output.

- Most probably a bit oversized for a RBPi .. mine is to power a laptop or two.

So, if you have a soldering iron, some smaller tools and persistence...  custom powerbanks are easy to build!

Unfortunately, my thread looks messy, went off-topic many times and the project is not yet complete due to various reasons - ranging from lack of time to play (build it) and waiting too much time for stuff from China to arrive...

Lot's of info in there and I think I'll complete my project in the coming days / weeks.

http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1467557

Anyhow, if you have sufficient funds available, easy access and fast delivery options of electronic components via one of the better known bigbox retailers...

- Then you could easily build yourself an awesome, high capacity solar powerbank over a weekend, even as an electronics novice!

Greetings,

Ignatus

Posts(132) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Ignatus on 4/23/2017 at 10:19 AM
  • Nick10974183 Friday, April 28, 2017 1:04 AM Reply

Hi Ignatus

Well the reason for the "oversize" is that i from time to time might need to fire up som 9-12V gear, controlled by the RP.

So my idea was to throw in a big a.. solar power bank, then run one of its outlets trough a buck-converter to get the e.g. 12V. It could be a fan, an it might have to run one 30 min a day.

Nice project you have made. I could heat up my old soldering iron, but i rather "just" purchase a ready made SPB. As the funny part, for me, is to make the controls ect.

So i'm still looking for a SPB

But thanks for your link and interrest :)

Posts(2) | Reviews | Tip post

• Ignatus Friday, April 28, 2017 1:21 PM Reply

@Nick,

Yes, of course the monster that I'm building is total overkill for a Raspberry + a cooling fan.

However, since you've already mentioned a buck converter ... it really sounds like a potential DIY project to me ;) 

I seriously believe that there is no decent quality, ready-made solar-powerbank available. I've looked for years on that "rainforest" website and other bigbox retailers.

They all use bad Lipo charging implementations (risk of destroying the already super low quality Lipo cells)), low quality / generic brand Lipo cells  (risk of fire) and always an ridiculously undersized, low quality solarpanel (will take weeks to charge if ever).

Anyhow, if you ever change your mind - I'd be happy to help you calculate your exact power requirements, help you with a shoppinglist and guide you through putting it all together, just send me a PM.

It is really easy as long as you can tell apart the colors black and red, as well as these 2 symbols: 

" + and - "

Also, if you are fine with stuffing all the parts into some Tupperware, it takes for a novice most probably around 2 hours of work to wire up the few parts and hot-glue all into place.

- Won't look as great a ready-made one, but outperform. it by 10,000%.

Have a great weekend!

Posts(132) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Electronics)
Electronics

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere