DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Battery become bloated after first charge

• CrowJuice Sunday, May 14, 2017 6:46 PM Reply

The battery become very bloated after the first charge after using it with a cheap charger I bought from the inteternet. I left it charging for several hours as I thought it was protected. Should not the protective board have preventet this?

Posts(33) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, May 14, 2017 7:38 PM Reply

a cheap charger I bought from the inteternet.

You should defifinitely send it back there.

Should not the protective board have preventet this?

If there was a manufacturing defect with the battery, I doubt there would be much the protection circuit could do (assuming it is fitted with one).

Edit - typo fixed.

DX has found a new way to deceive customers:
    Use reviews for different products that have not been bought
    by the person who wrote the review.
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1462252
    Posts(23426) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by sheepish on 5/15/2017 at 5:57 PM
  • Maye_Tao @DX Staff @DX Staff Monday, May 15, 2017 3:18 PM Reply

Hello @CrowJuice

It's better to charge this battery with the charger which has charging protection.

Be happy. ( *^_^* )
    Posts(3823) | Reviews | Tip post

• CrowJuice Monday, May 15, 2017 4:54 PM Reply

So this battery is not protected? It says in the description that it is protected. Or is the battery just defect?

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, May 15, 2017 6:02 PM Reply

The product title clearly says "Battery w/ Protective Board" so a protected charger should not be required. Protection on the charger will make no difference unless the battery protection circuit is defective (or missing).

• CrowJuice Monday, May 15, 2017 11:43 PM Reply

Thanks for the reply @sheepish. I will RMA the battery.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, May 19, 2017 6:56 AM Reply

I have never seen a high rate battery with protected primary leads. If there is a protection board, it will usually be only for the charge/balance leads (if they even exist). Maybe the is an exception, but based on how it bloated on the first charge, I somehow doubt that.

What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(6968) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, May 19, 2017 8:53 AM Reply

I have never seen a high rate battery with protected primary leads.

Yeah, good point. How would/could it be done?

It's in DX's best interests to have correct descriptions. It becomes a serious safety issue with lithium batteries. The details have still not been corrected.

I will RMA the battery.

Within 90 days of shipping, DX will only reimburse shipping up to 35% of the item's value (up to a maximum $40), so that allows you $1.64 to get it back to them. http://www.dx.com/Page-Conditions#return-policy.

• desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 02, 2017 7:13 AM Reply

Yeah, good point. How would/could it be done?

I should add, I've never seen it in an RC hobby context. Outside of that it is common. For example, lithium ion drill batteries typically have high current protection boards. Probably this is due to liability. Your average drill user won't be as careful with accidentally abusing a li-ion battery as a typical RC hobbyist.

It would have to be done with a protection board that has a very permissive overcurrent shutdown. Either the absolute amperage trigger will have to be very high, or it will need some sort of time delay. When a motor starts from a standstill, the current is extremely high, like 10X the running current. This is due to only the winding resistance restricting the current flow. Once the motor gets up to speed then the back emf kicks in and reduces the current to it's running value.

What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(6968) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere