DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Can this Flashlight be converted to single mode?

• Bigednz Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:16 AM Reply

I have mounted this flashlight onto my rifle, and have found a pressure switch which works great, but if only this was single mode, as cycling throught eh different modes to get back to full power is annoying.

Can anyone help?

Posts(6) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:36 AM Reply

Why cycle through all the modes? This torch has no mode memory, which means it always switches on in full power mode. If you don't want the others you don't have to use them, just switch off and switch on.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(6967) | Reviews | Tip post

• Bigednz Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:15 AM Reply

Hello oz0zo, thanks for the repy, but this flashlight does have a memory, if only I could bypass it?

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:58 AM Reply

Sorry 'bout that, according to the listing it doesn't have memory. @gasbag11 is our resident forum flashlite "Go-to", we'll see if he can help. He lives on the wrong side of the World so you may have to wait an hour or three for a response.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(6967) | Reviews | Tip post

• Bigednz Wednesday, June 28, 2017 11:02 AM Reply

haha or maybe we are on the wrong side? but there has to be a balance right?

Thanks for the reply, fingers crossed

:-)

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:15 PM Reply

Hi Bigednz

I'm not an expert but I'll try and help. 

There are 2 types of memory. Last mode and next mode.

Last mode means if you turn it off in a certain mode, it will turn back on in the same mode. (some lights do that instantly, some have to be off for several seconds or they will go to the next mode)

Next mode memory means if you turn it off it will always go to the next mode when turned back on. (turn it off in high mode and it will be in mid mode when turned back on)

Some lights have a really annoying system that requires clicking through all the modes just to turn it off. 

Which of those does your light have?

Next mode memory can (usually) be fixed fairly easily, with no special tools needed. The other 2 would require replacing the driver in your light. Not complicated but requires a little soldering.

ALWAYS ask questions about a specific item on its
    page. Scroll down and click on "Post a new topic".
    Posts(11445) | Reviews | Tip post

• Bigednz Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:02 AM Reply

Hello Gasbag11,

Thanks heaps for replying and helping. I have Next Mode, and it has a long memory before it does go back to the first mode, more than a minute anyway! Haven't timed it.

I have taken it apart and got the circuit board out, not too afraid to use a soldering iron, will be a good time to use my magnifying specs :-)

I do have a pic of the circuit board, would that help or can you tell me what to do?

I would be happy to send you my email address if it easier, just let me know

Thanx again for helping

cheers

:-)

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, June 29, 2017 3:34 AM Reply

If you have the driver out, you might be able to fix it with just a good, sharp pencil.

Check this thread. > http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1376412 

It's worked well on my lights that have next mode memory, but a few people said it didn't work, or didn't work well for them. All mine now act like lights with no memory and start on high mode every time. With some of them, you can still use the other modes by making very quick taps on the switch.

Let me know if you don't understand anything and I'll try to help.

edit - Btw, posting private info is not allowed, and not a good idea on a public forum.

Posts(11445) | Reviews | Tip post(1)

post edited by gasbag11 on 6/29/2017 at 3:52 AM
  • Bigednz Thursday, June 29, 2017 2:25 PM Reply

Hello Gasbag11,

I have the driver out, and have 3 capacitors? Will try one at a time I guess? what can go wrong? lol

DSC_0109[1].JPG

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:58 PM Reply

Maybe @desolder or @sheepish or @EBPdoug  can tell which is the one to do it on. I know nothing about electronics, and don't know if something could be damaged by doing it on the wrong capacitor. The lights I've done it on only had one capacitor.

Posts(11445) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere