DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

best AA flashlights

• Gabbar Monday, August 07, 2017 10:44 AM Reply

which flashlights currently on DX are the best AA flashlights?

i am looking for one preferably using two AA for longer runtime and maximum light .

so far i only see these two, but no idea in terms of whats the most recent LED released and what is brightest?

http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-cree-c3-flashlight-with-2xaa-extension-tube-bundle-4452

http://www.dx.com/p/trustfire-r5-a3-cree-xp-e-r5-3-mode-230-lumen-memory-led-flashlight-1-aa-1-14500-39062

thank you in advance for helping

Posts(210) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, August 07, 2017 2:23 PM Reply

i am looking for one preferably using two AA for longer runtime and maximum light.

Having 2 cells does not extend the run time, because most (if not all) torches have them fitted in series i.e. 2 x 1.5V. = 3.0 V. A light using a single 1.5V cell drawing the same amperage will theoretically run for the same length of time.

As for which is the most efficient emitter currently available to suit a 3.0V torch, I'll call on @sheepish to advise you because he can tell a genuine Cree from a Chinese fake, which is crap by comparison.

Once you have decided on what your priorities are, we'll ask @gasbag11 to advise which is best in that class.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(6925) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by ozOzo on 8/7/2017 at 2:31 PM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, August 07, 2017 10:11 PM Reply

Sorry but I can't offer much help. 

DX is down to 54 AA or AA/14500 flashlights left which is about 10% of what they used to have. 

http://www.dx.com/c/lights-lighting-1399/flashlights-1307/led-flashlights-1360/aa-flashlights-1366?sort=price&sortType=desc&pageSize=100 

Aside from the first 2 lights in the link above, most of the rest are rather out-dated, and any that use either a AA or 14500 (Li-ion 3.7V) cell won't be as bright with a AA. 

ALWAYS ask questions about a specific item on its
    page. Scroll down and click on "Post a new topic".
    Posts(11370) | Reviews | Tip post

• Gabbar Monday, August 07, 2017 11:29 PM Reply

so i would have to choose from between the two above i linked earlier? which one of the two do u think has longer run times?

would going to help or are those lights not as described? just wondering if i might find something decent.

this is what i used to order all the time, but now they dont have it in stock. great run time and lots of light in this one.

http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-606a-cree-q5-wc-230-lumen-led-flashlight-with-extension-tube-1-cr2-2-aa-14909

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, August 08, 2017 1:03 AM Reply

The first light in my link (Imalent) is about 3 times brighter than the nexTorch, so it seems the nexTorch would last longer if both lights were on high mode. If both lights were at the same brightness level, it's anyone's guess as to which would have a longer runtime.

There are other good lights like Nitecore, Fenix, Olight available at many other sites. Try Googling "Nitecore (or the other brands)  AA Flashlight".

Another good 4 X AA light is the Thorfire TK4A which is only $33.00 now at and maybe other sites. I have 2 Thorfires and they are very good quality for the price.

edit - PS, If you find something you like, Google the name and model # followed by the word "review" to see if any of the flashlight forums (budgetlightforum, candlepowerforum) have reviwed it. The info on sites like those is much more accurate and reliable than on sites like this.

PPS, If runtime is very important, try to get good quality rechargeable cells like Sanyo or Panasonic high capacity eneloop cells. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, August 08, 2017 7:31 AM Reply

DX's flash light (or flashlight) forum: http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/forum.-209

Edit:

thank you in advance for helping

Thank you in advance for next time posting in the correct forum.

DX has found a new way to deceive customers:
    Use reviews for different products that have not been bought
    by the person who wrote the review.
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1462252
    Posts(23338) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by sheepish on 8/8/2017 at 7:33 AM
  • Gabbar Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:36 PM Reply

i could not find a flashlight forum, thats why i posted it here. apologies.

under forums, i dont see any sub forum for flashlights. should i repost this message there???

post edited by Gabbar on 8/8/2017 at 10:37 PM
  • Gabbar Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:48 PM Reply

after i kept searching about the Thorfire TK4A, i found another light through reviews on those websites you mentioned. its called Sofirn SF11, both are supposedly identical, only difference is branding and price.

i saw that the Sofirn was selling for $25 shipped recently, now i am interested. hopefully it goes on sale again for that price.

i am still trying to search for the other brands you mentioned. to see what i find for AA

post edited by Gabbar on 8/9/2017 at 2:20 AM
  • ebpDoug Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:50 PM Reply

Two AAs in series should yield double the run time you would expect from a single AA. In reality, they are likely to yield somewhat more than double.

A single cell is incapable of lighting a white LED. Two in series might, but only when new and at full nominal voltage (for alkaline or conventional primary cells; "ordinary" NiMH won't likely light the LED at all; Eneloop, freshly charged, probably will). Most of the higher power white LEDs will require more than 3 volts to yield nominal power and brightness. This means that any flashlight using a single AA or two in series requires a boost converter to provide adequate voltage to the LED. The boost converter will be designed to deliver quite constant current to the LED. The current from two cells in series will be half that from a single cell, assuming 100% efficiency in the converter, hence two cells would be expected to last twice as long.

A boost converter designed to drive a white LED from two cells is likely to be a little more efficient than one designed to drive the LED from a single cell, so the former will likely deliver slightly more than double run time. A two cell conveter may also be able to continue to operate with the cells more deeply discharged, so there may be an addition gain from that. Losses in the cells themselves tend to be at least proportional to the current drawn, so running at half the current is likely to deliver a small gain in delivered energy for the same discharge endpoint. None of these gains individually will be large, but together there might be a worthwhile benefit.

Posts(987) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:33 PM Reply

i could not find a flashlight forum, thats why i posted it here. apologies.

Look to the left of the top sentence in ozOzo's post above. It's under "Interest Groups". 

Not much point in re-posting it now. 

Btw, of the 2 lights you linked to above, just a guess, but I would say the Ultrafire with 2 X AA cells would have a longer runtime.

Maybe sheepish knows something about them that I don't?

edit - typo

post edited by gasbag11 on 8/16/2017 at 2:24 AM
Page 1 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere