DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

best AA flashlights

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:56 AM Reply

I should have refreshed the page before my previous post as I see Doug already explained about which would have a longer runtime. 

@Gabbar. We can mention Amazon, but posting links to it (or any other site) is forbidden in the forums here. Click on the pencil icon in the lower, right corner of that post to edit/remove the link please.

I know nothing about Sofirn flashlights. It may be exactly the same as the ThorFire, or it might just look the same and have different (possibly inferior) electronics or LEDs. 

Try googling it like I said above to see if it's been reviewed on the flashlight forums.

ALWAYS ask questions about a specific item on its
    page. Scroll down and click on "Post a new topic".
    Posts(11364) | Reviews | Tip post

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, August 09, 2017 1:05 AM Reply

According to this thread at blf > http://budgetlightforum.com/node/54768  the Sofirn has some serious issues with the modes and may turn itself on. 

• Gabbar Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:26 AM Reply

thank you for the sofin light info.

so far i found another very good candidate , what do you think about this one?

Thrunite Archer 2A V3  (hopefully this is the latest version)

its only 29.99 and i like it so far. but there are quite a few reviews that the light dies after a few drops And/OR 6months of usage.

Posts(210) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Gabbar on 8/9/2017 at 2:40 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:52 AM Reply

I have 4 Thrunite flashlights (not the Archer 2A though) and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. The 4 I have are all excellent quality.

It appears to be the latest version and should be much brighter than the Ultrafires that you used to buy. Because of the higher brightness, the batts won't last as long if you use high mode all the time. There are lower modes though if you don't need maximum brightness all the time. That will make the cells last longer. 

I still recommend the high capacity eneloops I mentioned earlier. They'll stay brighter longer than alkalines and are much much cheaper in the long run if you use the light a lot.

Amazon "basic" rechargeable high capacity cells are just about as good, but are cheaper than the eneloops. I have a bunch of them and they last long, plus hold the charge much longer when not in use. 

• gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, August 09, 2017 9:16 AM Reply

Be careful when reading reviews on Amazon. They tend to mix reviews of old models in with new models, sometimes even with different models. Scroll down past the last review on the item's page and click on "See all reviews. Newest first". Than keep an eye on exactly which light is being reviewed by each customer. 

Also sometimes there are problems with lights but later versions have been improved. Make sure every review you read says; "Archer 2AA V3".

Or Google "Archer 2AA V3 review" for reviews on the flashlight forums like budgetlightforum or candlepowerforum.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Wednesday, August 09, 2017 6:08 PM Reply

They tend to mix reviews of old models in with new models, sometimes even with different models.

How... unoriginal. "If everyone is doing it, it must be OK."

DX has found a new way to deceive customers:
    Use reviews for different products that have not been bought
    by the person who wrote the review.
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1462252
    Posts(23331) | Reviews | Tip post

• Gabbar Wednesday, August 09, 2017 10:41 PM Reply

so far, i am leaning towards Thorfire TK4A

i really like the side switch, but i dont seem to see much of the side switch in any other lights. weird.

isnt side switch more comfortable for a light u carry in hands?

so now i have been searching for a few hours for side clicky AA lights and lol not a lot of success in a budget friendly price.

• Gabbar Wednesday, August 09, 2017 11:15 PM Reply

i just found another light CRELANT V4A.

is this better than the thorfire or is the thorfire better ?

post edited by Gabbar on 8/9/2017 at 11:18 PM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:31 AM Reply

I have no experience with Crelant lights.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crelant+v4a+review&oq=crelant+v4a+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2.11221j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 

Check the link above which has several reviews of it at budgetlightforum, plus one of the ThorFire TK4A. It seems that the TK4A has less issues and is a little more popular.

There are also some youtube video reviews which might include outdoor beamshots to help you decide if the beam is too wide (a flooder, for close up) or too narrow, (a thrower, for distance) or somewhere in between. edit - Btw, the Crelant has an XPL HI led vs a regular XPL in the TK4A, which would (probably) make it more of a thrower than the ThorFire.

post edited by gasbag11 on 8/10/2017 at 12:35 AM
  • Gabbar Friday, August 11, 2017 3:14 AM Reply

well i really want more flood than anything and the thorfire has way more throw than i need anyways. crelant is way too much throw.

so i think i am gonna still stay with thorfire as the chosen one for now. still researching other lights.

one question, is the $32 regular price for thorfire or is it on a special sale now??? dont want to miss buying it while i am researching other options.

thank you all for helping me.

post edited by Gabbar on 8/11/2017 at 3:15 AM
Page 2 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere