DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

External power connector ?

• mrmuzzio Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:51 AM Reply

In my unit, there is a hole for an aditional connector, next to the cable on the disk connection.

Could this be used to give aditional power to the disk with a 5v source ? I'm thinking of using it with my raspberry so this could be nice since the raspberry can't keep up with the power consumption with it's usb ports.

Thanks!

Posts(18) | Reviews | Tip post

• Maye_Tao @DX Staff @DX Staff Wednesday, August 23, 2017 11:47 AM Reply

Hello @mrmuzzio

Update

Additional power source: 12V 2A, 5.5 connector

The 3.5" version needs additional power source. The 2.5" version doesn't need it.

Be happy. ( *^_^* )
    Posts(4219) | Reviews | Tip post

mod edited by Maye_Tao on 8/31/2017 at 11:10 AM
  • mrmuzzio Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:23 AM Reply

Hello! Thanks for your reply. 

I've tried to connect the disk to an old notebook using a PSU with 12v 2a but the disk only makes some ticking noise and does not start up. If I use a powered usb hub instead, the disk works flawlessly. The same adapter and disk also works ok when connected to a PC with a USB 3 port. 

It's seems the external power does nothing when connected, at least with the disk I'm using wich is a Hitachi 5K750-640 rated at 5v 700ma.

Can I try something else?

Greetings.

Posts(18) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere