DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Why items more expensive if shipped to Hong Kong?

• dregatron Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:27 AM Reply

I've been buying hundreds of products from dx.com for years and have them shipped to my address in Hong Kong (HK), but this week I noticed that the listed prices are much higher (sometimes 30% higher) if my shipped address is listed HK as opposed to USA or Australia which it sometimes defaults too. Is this a new policy by dx.com to charge HK-based customers a higher premium compared to worldwide? This doesn't make much sense as I thought dx.com is supposed to be based in HK so should be alot cheaper in general to ship to an HK resident?

If this is a bug in the system, can you please have it fixed as I'm holding off my future purchases now as it's not really good value buying from dx.com anymore if they're going to mark up the price on everything simply because I live in the same city they're located in. I might as well source it from or .

Posts(4) | Reviews | Tip post

• matrix-neo Moderator Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:37 AM Reply

this is not unusual, and it also applies to other sellers including most HK ebay sellers(if they even ship locally as most don't!), the government wants and encourages sellers to sell overseas and so they heavily subsidize shipping to overseas buyers, i've been told for small airmail packets it's almost free shipping

Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11995) | Reviews | Tip post

• Maye_Tao @DX Staff @DX Staff Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:44 AM Reply

Hello @dregatron

It is not a bug. The price will be different due to our new regional pricing policy. Only 852+ products are shipped from HK warehouse.

Be happy. ( *^_^* )
    Posts(4081) | Reviews | Tip post

• dregatron Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:50 AM Reply

Thanks @matrix-neo, but even though you in your opinion you say "this is not unusual" - the reason I raise this as an issue is because like I said, I've been buying hundreds of products from dx.com for over 10years and the price would always match the original cart when I checkout even if I have to change the shipping country from default USA to HK so this seemed strange.

I even have items in my current cart that I'm reordering from the previous month that are appearing significantly marked up compared to the first time I ordered. When I bought them the first time, the prices I paid then match the lower prices displayed currently for shipping to USA - so yes, this makes me wonder if it's some glitch currently?

• dregatron Wednesday, November 15, 2017 9:52 AM Reply

Thanks @Maye_Tao for confirming it's a "new regional pricing policy" for HK-based customers. Do you have a link to view this new regional policy?

• msh1994 Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:25 AM Reply

I just noticed this change and I am very disapponted by it. As a dropshipper who ship worldwide on eBay, I have a hard time to standardise the price of my listings now. DX is ruining their business as this new policy is definitely scaring new and old customers away. 

Posts(5) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by msh1994 on 11/16/2017 at 2:26 AM
  • dregatron Thursday, November 16, 2017 9:56 AM Reply

I feel your pain @msh1994. Once @Maye_Tao confirmed that this is an official pricing policy change for HK-based customers only, I just went to and sourced the same goods for the cheaper price DX sell them for to overseas buyers. I guess that's the easier way to go if you are like me and buy alot of stuff online - on average the new DX markup for HK customers is 20%-30% on every item compared to what overseas buyers pay which adds up significantly.

I'll just have to abandon DX for now and wait till one day I move back to Australia to get the discount value again from DX. It's a real shame as I've found them reliable and the best price for the past 10years and recommended them to heaps of friends and family, it's impossible to recommend them now. In the meantime, luckily there are plenty of other online retail options to buy from instead.

«Reply to this thread (in General Discussions)
General Discussions

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere