Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Product changed

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, December 25, 2017 10:42 AM Reply

This is now 2 wire, not 3 wire like when I first bought it in April 2016. This means there is now a big difference in brightness between the two ends. I cannot recommend this product any more.

difference.jpg

Why, DX!? Why do you change really good products? Why can't we rely on you to continue to supply the same quality stuff?

Edit - added date I last bought this, and a pic of how bad it is now.

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24930) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by sheepish on 12/25/2017 at 11:48 AM
  • sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, December 29, 2017 9:14 AM Reply

This is interesting. I wonder where my photo went to in the previous post. How very strange. It's not like DX for photos to just vanish.

difference.jpg

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:08 PM Reply

The staff member answering my support ticket keeps saying "But we did not send the wrong item to you" and has asked me to "please measure its power" (her use of bold). So I have tested my old good LED string and one of the new bad LED strings using two different USB supplies, recording measurements from sku.434338.

Using a mains USB supply:

Old LED string: 5.09 V * 0.79 A = 4.02 W
    New LED string: 5.02 V * 0.35 A = 1.76 W

And using a 12V lighter socket USB charger, sku.439087.

Old LED string: 5.12 V * 0.79 A = 4.04 W
    New LED string: 5.17 V * 0.38 A = 1.96 W

In each case the new LED string used less than half the power of the old string. That certainly looks like the wrong item to me. I'm sure DX didn't mean to send such a different item, but I'm getting really tired of reading "But we did not send the wrong item to you".

Why do the new strings use so little power? It's not hard to see the difference, and I've already posted this photo in the ticket (which makes the repeated protestation that it's not the wrong item even more annoying). The old 3 wire string is on the left wrapped around the cardboard tube, the new 2 wire string is on the right in a coil. Both have the first and last LEDs next to each other, pointed straight at the camera. This is a very poor quality item now.

compared.jpg

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:23 PM Reply

Using laptop USB socket:

Old LED string:  4.74 V * 0.64 A = 3.03 W
    New LED string: 4.76 V * 0.29 A = 1.38 W

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, January 8, 2018 10:39 AM Reply

@Maye_Tao could you please review my ticket 15600B8594074064BF2F38A9A9353E5B regarding these LED strings which now work less than half as well as they did previously.

I said I would accept a partial refund of $8 store credit for the two strings. Instead I was given $7 store credit and a $1 gift card, which I did not accept and was not asked if that was OK. The ticket was closed without any further input from me. The gift card will soon expire and I doubt I will be able to find any good quality three wire LED strings on DX before it expires. Having products change is bad enough without having the acceptable refund changed as well.

Also, why did I have to jump through so many hoops to show they are now different? What is DX going to do about clearly showing the specs and low quality of the new product?

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, January 8, 2018 10:57 AM Reply

The very quick response is that it's DX policy to usually refund the gift card.

I have encountered that policy before, but the same as last time, I would still have used
    the gift card on the order even if I had not bought the two LED strings
    at all. As well as the problem I mentioned above with the gift card expiring, having that gift card to use means I
    do not have the option of using my DX Points for another gift card on my
    next order at the time of the order. DX's system does not accept multiple gift cards, but they do expire, whereas DX Points and store credit do not.

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Monday, January 8, 2018 11:12 AM Reply

Solution - "dissolve" gift card back into DX Points. Thank you Maye!

Remembering 30 years.

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:14 PM Reply

This is interesting. I wonder where my photo went to in the previous post.

And now the pic is back in the first post but gone from the second post. Stupid New Forum Interface or something else going on with the DX site? We're unlikely to ever know for sure.

Further down the compared.jpg pic is also missing. I'll try uploading it again... Hm, why have a photo button when users can just drag and drop pics into this panel?

compared.jpg

Remembering 30 years.

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere