Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Why this item cant be shipped to brazil ?

• Mantrhax2 Thursday, June 21, 2018 4:08 AM Reply

Reading all regulations at ICAO and IATA , theres no restriction about NIMH batteries being shipped by air or sea,  checking ANAC the brazilian air agency and RF , theres no restrictions about importing NIMH Batteries, so, why is DX loosing money not shipping them?

Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries
    Guidance on the air transport of Batteries, nickel-metal hydride UN3496
    IATA has been contacted by various parties experiencing difficulties shipping and accepting Batteries, nickel metal hydride (UN 3496) and equipment containing them by air transport. The text in the 57th edition of the DGR has been adapted to make the shipping requirements clearer through Special Provision A199.
    BACKGROUND:
    UN 3496 was brought into the 55th edition of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) to ensure the list of dangerous goods is "complete" and generally aligned with the UN Model Regulations. This UN Number is only used in sea transport.
    TRANSPORT BY AIR:
    These batteries may be shipped by air transport. The batteries are considered not restricted once the shipper complies with Special Provision A199. This may involve the freight forwarder correctly indicating the required text on the air waybill, when an air waybill is used. The UN Number “UN 3496” is not a UN Number used in air transport and should not be used in association with the description of the goods.
    We understand there is some confusion with the mention of "forbidden" against the limited quantity entry for UN 3496, but the special provision makes clear that the entry is only used in sea transport.
    SPECIAL PROVISION A199
    The UN number UN 3496 is only applicable in sea transport. Nickel-metal hydride batteries or nickel-metal hydride battery-powered devices, equipment or vehicles having the potential of a dangerous evolution of heat are not subject to these Regulations provided they are prepared for transport so as to prevent:
    (a) a short circuit (e.g. in the case of batteries, by the effective insulation of exposed terminals; or, in the case of equipment, by disconnection of the battery and protection of exposed terminals); and
    (b) unintentional activation.
    The words “Not Restricted” and the Special Provision number must be included in the description of the substance on the Air Waybill as required by 8.2.6, when an Air Waybill is issued.
    You can contact the IATA Dangerous Goods Support team if you have questions or concerns that may not have been addressed in this document at: [email protected]

Posts(33) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Mantrhax2 on 6/21/2018 at 4:09 AM
  • desolder Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, June 21, 2018 6:36 AM Reply

@Maye_Tao might know why.

What's up with the scrubbed LED driver IC markings?
    What are they trying to hide?

Posts(7073) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Thursday, June 21, 2018 8:35 AM Reply

Is it really necessary to post in at least three threads about the same issue?

Remembering 30 years.
    Posts(24950) | Reviews | Tip post

• matrix-neo Moderator Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:58 PM Reply

when the ban on Li-On batteries came into effect i think for some countries at least they broadened the definition to all purely power products i.e batteries of all kinds, power banks etc technically a short circuit can happen with any battery chemistry but Li-On cells are somewhat more volatile

Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11865) | Reviews | Tip post

• ozOzo Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 22, 2018 6:15 AM Reply

As a customer from one of the countries affected by the power products ban (AU), I can confirm what matrix-neo says. For two years or more we have been unable to import some products. Not just batteries but items  (presumably those that show up on radar scan by Customs) as looking the size and shape of batteries or some gadget that may contains them.

I have had NiMH and NiZn cells and even a mouse which was apparently suspected of containing a cell returned to DX by Chinese Customs. My guess is that there were so many parcels that they couldn’t open to check the type of cells, so they just sent them all back. It all got too hard for DX so they probably extended the ban to include non-lithium cells.

The list of countries that are NOT included in the ban defies logic though! I would have expected many of the European countries and USA to be just as safety conscious as my country, if that was the issue, so why us and not them? Who made out that list?… One may expect some airlines to be fussier than others but the goods don’t get that far, they are stopped by Customs! How do they decide which countries deserve to have an air disaster?

[edit] Be thankful at least, that you didn't waste your money on BTY batteries- They're rubbish.

Worldwide 4G bands list:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
    Worldwide 3G bands list:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/
    wiki/List_of_UMTS_networks
    Posts(7310) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by ozOzo on 6/22/2018 at 6:26 AM
  • gasbag11 Top 10 Forum Poster Friday, June 22, 2018 11:44 PM Reply

I would have expected many of the European countries and USA to be just as safety conscious as my country,

The USA is also on the banned list here at DX, but another site I occasionally buy from has a new shipping method for Li-ion cells called "USPS for battery products". There's a fee of $3~4, but it goes down if you buy more.

Be thankful at least, that you didn't waste your money on BTY batteries- They're rubbish.

+1

NO! I don't know why DX screwed up the site so badly.
    Ask them.
    Posts(12572) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere