Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Lock Picks)
Lock Picks

USA. Make sure you check local laws about picks.

• Silverkarn Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:39 PM Reply
    This topic at lockpicking101 explains the laws of every state in the USA about the legality of Lockpicks.

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2850&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

My state for example:
    43.12 Possession of burglarious tools. Whoever has in personal possession any device or instrumentality intended, designed or adapted for use in breaking into any depository designed for the safekeeping of any valuables or into any building or room, with intent to use such device or instrumentality to break into a depository, building or room, and to steal therefrom, is guilty of a Class I felony.

Police/Court interpretation:
    It comes down to intent. You may possess lockpicks, but if you are caught carrying them on you outside of your home this may be interpreted as intent to commit a burglary - unless of course you're a locksmith.

I also talked to an ex-police officer from around here, he told me that "intent" in my part of the state means "sneaking around houses" with the picks in your posession.
    Posts(71) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by Silverkarn on 10/12/2008 at 2:41 PM
  • captjimjam Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:42 PM Reply
    In most places it becomes illegal when you carry them around with 'intent' as you said.
    So you probably wouldn't get prosecuted in the majority of places for just carrying a load of lock picks in you bag.
    The safest thing to do (if you are taking them in public) is not carry them visibly, or cause any trouble to give a reason to be searched.
    Addicted to yellow envelopes!--UK--
    I'm a forum only moderator and not part of DX staff.
    To contact DX staff use: http://services.dealextreme.com
    New customer guide: www.tinyurl.com/help-dx
    Posts(6823) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by captjimjam on 10/12/2008 at 2:42 PM
  • Silverkarn Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:45 PM Reply
    Yes, but you have to make sure. In some places, no matter the circumstances, "intent" is simply having them in your possession.
    Posts(71) | Reviews | Tip post

• VillageIdiot Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:29 PM Reply
    Then nobody here has a problem, right? Right? =P

If you are the kind of person who jacks houses, keep the picks in your shoe while not using them so you can't get patted down for them.
    If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
    Posts(521) | Reviews | Tip post

• andrade4 Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:39 AM Reply
    ^ thanks for the tip ;)
    ===========
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dx4lover
    ^Lots of DX reviews
    Vancouver,Canada
    Posts(4043) | Reviews | Tip post

• iWillDX Friday, November 14, 2008 1:25 AM Reply
    Yes, wondering around on someones property with lock picks would be intent. Same if you are wondering around on someones property with a crowbar would be intent. Use common sense and you will be fine.

At home, on your way to a sport lockpicking event, on your way to a conference on locks, no problem.

Also, you shouldn't have any stolen goods in your possession either, applies at all times, but esp if you are holding picks :-)

Posts(42) | Reviews | Tip post

• MARIEISNOW Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:05 PM Reply
    Ok i live in Virginia [USA] and here is what my law says "If any person have in his possession any tools, implements or outfit, with intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny, upon conviction thereof he shall be guilty of a Class 5 felony. The possession of such burglarious tools, implements or outfit by any person other than a licensed dealer, shall be prima facie evidence of an intent to commit burglary, robbery or larceny." what's your guys opinion about this and what should i do with the lockpicks i think i should keep them but only inside my house lol ;)
    Posts(10) | Reviews | Tip post

• sergey2008 Thursday, November 5, 2009 3:44 AM Reply
    idiotic US laws, as 99% of all burglars do not use lockpicks.

someone who can open a lock in few minutes usually has skill,
    a wellpaid job and therefore no need to break into you property.

Posts(182) | Reviews | Tip post

• minktheshrink Saturday, January 8, 2011 3:26 PM Reply
    As stated above, many police will arrest you based solely on you carrying picks if "burglary tools" are against the law. As a defense you can make claims towards a pry-bar or other tools that can be used for legitimate purposes as well.

I live in Indiana [USA] and there are no laws against lock picks. I generally keep them in my car or on my person.
    Posts(67) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Lock Picks)
Lock Picks

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere