DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Capacity not really 2400mAh???

• Gmozz Sunday, March 01, 2009 6:30 AM Reply
    Just received mine and find that the capacity on both is only 1600mAh on a 1A discharge test.

Has anyone else found disappointing capacity on these or did I just a get some duds?
    Posts(3) | Reviews | Tip post

• captjimjam Sunday, March 01, 2009 12:01 PM Reply
    Lots of the manufacturers like to exaddurate their batteries capacities.
    Addicted to yellow envelopes!--UK--
    I'm a forum only moderator and not part of DX staff.
    To contact DX staff use: http://services.dealextreme.com
    New customer guide: www.tinyurl.com/help-dx
    Posts(6823) | Reviews | Tip post

• algerath1 Sunday, March 01, 2009 12:19 PM Reply
    I am not an expert with lithium ion cells but MANY years ago when I was in school for electronics most manufacturers would rate batteries at something like a 20 hour discharge rate.

example: a 1000mah battery would provide 50mA for 20 hours it would not provide 500mA for 2 hours, the capacity would drop as the discharge rate increased.

I know a lot of manufacturers do overstate capacity, but I also wonder if a lower discharge rate would get numbers at least closer to claimed capacity.

as I said I am not an expert on lithium ion cells, so it is possible that they don't suffer from this condition or not as much as the older cells I dealt with, just a thought.
    Posts(170) | Reviews | Tip post

• frills Top 10 Forum Poster Sunday, March 01, 2009 12:37 PM Reply
    I bought this SKU a few times back when it was around $11 and it performed pretty close to rated in field tests with a buck/boost driver in a single-cell cree light known to pull an average of 1.2A. It got a few minutes past 2 hours with dropoff in the last ~15 minutes before the protection circuit cut in, so we estimated a 1:50hr run giving at least 2200mAh capacity.

I really hope this isn't a reduction in production quality that coincides with the price drop, because I just ordered a new pair recently.
    Posts(3318) | Reviews | Tip post

• sheepish Top 10 Forum Poster Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:02 AM Reply
    Lead-acid batteries are indeed normally specified by their capacity from a 20 hour discharge. They suffer a lot from the Peukert effect, which means they have much less capacity when discharged faster. However Li-ion cells aren't affected anywhere near as much.
    DX has found a new way to deceive customers:
    Use reviews for different products that have not been bought
    by the person who wrote the review.
    http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1462252
    Posts(22747) | Reviews | Tip post

• stevelines Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:56 PM Reply
    Just got mine in the past week... Every one of them is coming up between 1000 mah and 1700 mah.
    Very disappointed in these.

Using the Mystery Charger / Discharger sold on DX.
    Posts(12) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere