Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Dangerous for computers?

• Sokonomi Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:23 AM Reply
    I love geeky stuff like this, and I think this would be brilliant for people who have alot of work opening up computers. Just stick the screws on your ring for a minute so they dont end up in mordor somewhere undernieth your desk. ;)

The thing is though, are these strong enough to seriously garble data on disks and perhaps even chips?
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
    Posts(1145) | Reviews | Tip post

• MoowChair Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:31 AM Reply
    Keep this away from ram modules and floppys. Pretty much better if you never use these while having your case panel off.
    I like pies :)
    Posts(1072) | Reviews | Tip post

• matrix-neo Moderator Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:37 AM Reply
    mythbusters did a test with credit cards a while back, as part of the 'does an electric eel skin wallet affect credit cards' myth, magnets did not affect the credit cards, only a strong electro magnet did permanent damage to the magnetic stripe, i would think a cc is weaker than a chip or hdd

btw "Hard stainless steel material" does this mean the rare earth magnet is inside the ss exterior?
    Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11865) | Reviews | Tip post

• Sokonomi Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:12 AM Reply
    MoowChair & Matrix-Neo: You two are exactly demonstrating what thoughts I had about this ring. ;) a CC card was able to withstand redicilous amounts of gaus on the mythbuster experiment, yet everyone always squacks about being carefull with magnets and electronics.

• captjimjam Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:30 AM Reply
    Quote:

"Thousands of you have bought rare-earth magnets from us. Almost invariably, you have found uses for the first few you bought and proceeded to order more. Along the way, you probably found out, as many of us have who have handled them, that you should never carry them in the same pocket as your credit cards or sit them next to your computer, particularly if you happen to be using a computer disk as a coaster. They will wreak havoc with any information stored in magnetic form. Some of us have had the magnetic strip on our credit cards destroyed more than once through inadvertently slipping magnets into pockets."
    Addicted to yellow envelopes!--UK--
    I'm a forum only moderator and not part of DX staff.
    To contact DX staff use: http://services.dealextreme.com
    New customer guide: www.tinyurl.com/help-dx
    Posts(6823) | Reviews | Tip post

• matrix-neo Moderator Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:36 AM Reply
    yeah i was was surprised too sokonomi, but i suppose they just say 'better safe than sorry'

also newer cc are less prone to strong magnetic fields, most if not all cc now have a chip in-bedded as part of the new improved security measures to stop skimming of the magnetic stripe, but i suppose the chip is now static sensitive?
    Resistance is futile-give in to DX gadget craving!
    also a voluntary mod-be nice please!
    Have an enquiry? https://cs.dx.com/ticket/index

Posts(11865) | Reviews | Tip post

• just_MaD Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:38 AM Reply
    well floppies are pretty sensitive^^ i accidently killed several with a quite weak magnet. HDDs should be quite sensitive, too
    I came here to drink milk and kick ass... and I've just finished my milk
    Posts(1631) | Reviews | Tip post

• antalz Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:42 AM Reply
    Only your hard disk is really vulnerable. Alot of the other components use non-ferro-magnetic materials, copper, semi-conductors etc. However, the harddisk uses magnetic storage, and you might damage the head or the platters, making the disk broken or lose some of it's data.

However, harddisks do have their steel shells to keep electromagnetic nastyness out. Also, your computer case keeps alot of the magnetic field out the door.

So far my thoughts, now a question:

what happens when u push one of these close to a case fan? Or any other brushless motor for that matter?
    Posts(24) | Reviews | Tip post

• Sokonomi Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:44 AM Reply
    Ill tell you what, ive got an old 80gb disk, ill put some data on it and then skim across it with a fridge magnet. :p That should prove wether or not this "Harddisks cant be near magnets" myth is busted. ;)

• captjimjam Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:56 AM Reply
    Try with a rare earth magnet. :)
    Addicted to yellow envelopes!--UK--
    I'm a forum only moderator and not part of DX staff.
    To contact DX staff use: http://services.dealextreme.com
    New customer guide: www.tinyurl.com/help-dx
    Posts(6823) | Reviews | Tip post

Page 1 of 3
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere