Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Electronics)
Electronics

Converting DX Li-On chargers to charge packs

• EL34xyz Saturday, April 18, 2009 11:49 AM Reply
    Anyone ever convert a DX charger to charge a soldered together pack of 18650 Li-On's?

I have one of the SKU 6105 chargers on the way to see if I can customize it with a SAE plug that mates up with 3 or 4 Li-On 18650 battery packs.

I see the charge current is around 1 amp x 2 because it will charge two cells individually and so I hope to take it apart and customize it with a SAE plug.

The object being that I want to find a cheap way for people to charge custom 18650 battery packs to be used in bike lighting.

FYI, bike lighting usually has battery packs that get stashed in a pack or in a jersey pocket and usually you need 2-3 hours+ burn time.
    Which means several batteries soldered together. Battery holers don't cut it when running off road, you need soldered connections.

Hoping to find someone who has experimented with this idea.
    Posts(17) | Reviews | Tip post

• shusting Saturday, April 18, 2009 5:56 PM Reply
    Well, as long as they're connected in parallel, there should be no problem (would just take longer to charge).
    Series is where things change, because you'd need the extra voltage in order to charge.
    GTA, Canada.. eh?
    Posts(2421) | Reviews | Tip post

• algerath1 Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:40 PM Reply
    You might have problems if the batteries are not fairly equal in capacity, you don't want a weak cell in the pack.
    Posts(170) | Reviews | Tip post

• EL34xyz Monday, April 20, 2009 10:48 AM Reply
    Yeah, I am buying new 18650's Li-Ons from this site and making battery packs of 3 or more cells to run the 3.6v SSC P7's

The battery packs I make are all solder connected in parallel for that application and they are all brand new batteries. I never mix and match old batteries with new.

I have 3 high tech digital display MaHa chargers I use for my personal packs, but I was looking for a cheaper method for guys that don't want to put out $80+ for chargers like the ones I own.

I have a SKU 6105 charger on the way that I am going to open up and add a SAE power plug. All the packs I make use that plug.\

Thanks for the feedback.

• madyicstik Monday, April 20, 2009 4:25 PM Reply
    please do post it here if you ever do theod. very interested as well :
    Posts(275) | Reviews | Tip post

• EL34xyz Monday, April 20, 2009 6:07 PM Reply
    I just got the charger a couple hours ago.

There are 4 small screws on the back cover to get inside, no problem.

There are nice big fat solder points on the circuit board for the battery charge + and - for both chargers.

I soldered two SAE connectors to the circuit board, one to each charger. I use this style connector on all my battery packs.

I took a dremel tool with a small rasp bit and opened up small exit points in the top cover on both sides. (The non circuit board half)

I'll have to wait and see how long the charge times are for the multiple battery packs.

Here's a shot of it charging one single 18650 and also charging a battery pack made up of 3x1860's in parallel.
    http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3281/chargert.jpg
    img src: http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3281/chargert.jpg

mod edited (AMGGTV) on 4/21/2009 at 5:03 PM
  • EL34xyz Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:23 AM Reply
    I set up a web page with more info on converting this charger for battery pack charging. [removed]

mod edited (AMGGTV) on 4/21/2009 at 4:20 PM
  • captjimjam Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:38 AM Reply
    EL34xyz, very good site! :)
    You should consider adding referral links to your SKU links on your site.
    Addicted to yellow envelopes!--UK--
    I'm a forum only moderator and not part of DX staff.
    To contact DX staff use: http://services.dealextreme.com
    New customer guide: www.tinyurl.com/help-dx
    Posts(6823) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by captjimjam on 4/21/2009 at 9:38 AM
  • EL34xyz Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:40 AM Reply
    Thanks capt.
    I am adding the link right now.

Should be all linked in a short while.

• EL34xyz Tuesday, April 21, 2009 4:48 PM Reply
    Hmm, that's fairly silly and makes no sense.
    One mod likes it, one mod says no.

My web site has tons of DX links showing what DX products to use.
    Should I remove all the DX links on my web site also?

Page 1 of 2
Go to Page:
«Reply to this thread (in Electronics)
Electronics

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere