Wish
DX  » Community » Forums
«See all threads (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

I got mine!

• DDN84 Friday, July 17, 2009 2:40 AM Reply
    I bought this light to have a feel for the Jetbeam (just physical dimensions) and I have to say the overall quality is rather BAD. The finish looks "just" OK for a $11 torch but anodize comes off easily; there are also small dents at some places; I however think the exterior of this light is its best merit.

Threads are square (supposed to be robust) but poorly machined near the O-ring and too short, only ~1.5 turns at tailcap part and almost 2 turns at the head, definitely need lube as O-rings seem tight which are good for waterproof-ness. The light has enough room to fit my TF protected 18650 without problems.

Rubber switch boot protrudes about 1 mm so the light can tail-stand but wobbles a bit. Clickie feels good and it can be replaced with sku.5602 in case you prefer your switch to have stronger tactile feedback, some basic soldering skill should be sufficient I guess.

The reflector presses against the LED which is bad design if they are not perfectly aligned IMO (they are misaligned on my torch). I tried a drop test from about 1m onto the carpet and the dome of the LED popped out (wth, eh?). The beam is still kinda focused without dome of the LED but I might try to swap it with a XP-E.

The spill takes 17mm circuit board and LED on 16 mm round pcb but looks very tight). Driver can be unscrewed easily.

I tested with TF 2400mAh, measured at 4.04v (unloaded); it pulls ~0.5A on Hi, ~0.1A on Lo and ~0.25A on strobe, no PWM detected when pointing to a 120mm PC fan (running at 5V, low rpm).

To sum up, everything about this light seems "cheap", but because it is cheap (<$12 shipped). I don't have any regret purchasing this light because I like its form factor and its mod-ability. Even so, I feel sorry for any quality driver or LED to be installed in this torch :D

I still think this light is good, because:
    -Its anodize isn't great, you don't have to take care of its appearance.
    -You can lend it to your mates without any worries, if it's lost or damaged, buy a new one :]
    -It is an excellent 18650 battery case (strong body and water-proof) and can also act as a back up light.

That's all for now, I might try to take some pictures if I feel like it lol.

Thx for reading

Posts(77) | Reviews | Tip post

post edited by DDN84 on 7/17/2009 at 2:43 AM
  • drsquirrel Monday, February 7, 2011 6:44 PM Reply
    What "speed" strobe is this, roughly?
    Posts(926) | Reviews | Tip post

«Reply to this thread (in Product Forum)
Product Forum

Subject:

* 50 characters max

Please note: HTML codes are not allowed anywhere on this page (otherwise you will see an error).

Please note that DealExtreme Forums are not a sales or product support board. While we do constantly participate in this forum, please contact us via support ticket for a guaranteed fast response. We make every effort to make the quickest replies.

DX Everywhere